Agnostic.com

18 1

What made you today?

What was single most important part of your past that molded you today?

TGTARITPNBBGMLT 6 Aug 22

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

18 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Inspiration I got from two of my high school teachers and four of my college professors.

Have you contacted these people to let them know how much they influenced you?

@LucyLoohoo Yes, I have talked with one of my high school teachers and one of the college professors.

@gsiamne What a thoughtful thing to do! You've probably "made" their entire year!

My mother's death aged 29 (i was 7)

I'm so sorry! That was the age I was when my father died. ((((HUGS)))) It's a terrible thing for a child and I'm hoping you're ok now.

@LucyLoohoo hugs to you too for your loss. It was a long time ago but it formed me and even at this age when i think of her (rarely) i do so with the emotions of that 7 yr old child.

@SimonCyrene Thanks! I've never been to therapy or analysis, etc, but I know I've spent much of my ''romantic'' life "looking'' for a father image. They tell me it's very common. Did she know she was going to die? How horrible for a young mother of a young boy.....sorrysorrysorry!

@LucyLoohoo i was left with a sense of abandonment and an overinflated sense of injustice. But i can smile about it now. There were 5 of us though (the rest girls)and the youngest was two. My father wasn't a success as a parent. Only one of them has any contact with him now.

@SimonCyrene If you can smile now (genuinely) and feel successful after essentially raising yourself...you're doing well! We can only guess at your father's true thoughts these days...and we don't care!

Honestly, you've made me consider something for the first time--that "overinflated sense of injustice." Is it possible that IT is responsible for our activism and anger at injustice, wherever we see it? I KNEW it was ''wrong'' that my father had died and my mother beat the hell out of me...is that what's behind all this activism? Interesting thought, Simon. Interesting thought......

My crazy childhood-foster homes, divorce, abusive older brother, useless father, repressive culture ( Mormon).

@tallgreentech
Once I grew up things changed dramatically.

Having parents who were mentally unwell - depression and bi polar mainly manic - It shaped me in many ways and I am really glad I didn't become a psychiatric nurse just a lecturer in F.E in Person Centred Counselling & Creative Expressive Therapist - None of that was an attemot to cure my parents I left home at 15 as they were so violent to each other and my brother and I.

Years of international travel. You can't do that and not be torn open...have your impressions of the rest of the world altered...meet friends you'd never imagine...learning that the US of A is NOT the ''best'' nation because there IS no ''best'' nation. It's just a place with a potentially wonderful form of government and citizens much like people all around the world.

@tallgreentech GOOD! I wish I could give an all-expense paid GAP YEAR to every US high school graduate!

@tallgreentech RIGHT! And...it's why so many European young people take that ''gap'' year...to open up their hearts and heads! Of course, it's easier for them because Europe's so small. BUT...there are so many wonderful places to visit--people to meet--cultures to enjoy, etc.

Advanced Degrees (which, obviously, shows my ability to read this question and comprehend that the original poster asked for ONE thing....not the laundry lists that people are posting..... just sayin' )

violent abuse, daily for over decade.

@tallgreentech It is held at arms reach, but not gone. 10 years was just the extreme phase, The source of the violence is still around, though aging. And as hard a nut as I became in the eyes of all others, he still sees me as his victim.

Getting diagnosed with cancer last year.

(((BIG HUGS)))

Genetics
Early experience 0 thru 18 months
Lifespace
Lifetime learning
Expectancy

GELLE The Peanut Butter Theory

I'm the product of a thousand experiences. Many people who have similar histories end up drug addicted failures in life.

Most of my therapists have been extremely impressed that I'm who I am today.

But not one experience can be given credit for who I am. Each one is responsible for a small fragment of myself.

Hallucinations from eating mercury. Severely low self worth, trust issues, and an immense fighting spirit from years of varying abuse. My kindness from my family. My passion from my sadness.

I am me because of all of my experiences.

Parents who should have never had offsprings!

I understand this perfectly! You survived...WE survived...and THEY didn't win! ((HUGS))

I love using my imagination. I've always been a day dreamer. Makes me just do it.

@tallgreentech I've been dreaming about having a gallery for over two years. I signed a contract on one the other day not knowing if I was going to live. Since I'm one of the many victims of cancer. Looks like things are going my way for a minute.

@tallgreentech awesome. Post lots of pictures. I can't wait to see it

I should had been Murdered in 1985. Is 2018... figure the rest!

@tallgreentech As Serious as Somebody else Murdered within an hour later.

I'll bet you've been awake a few nights, thinking of that one!

@LucyLoohoo No, the 4 guys are dead and I sleep and awakes sooner or later every day.

@GipsyOfNewSpain Guess you're exemplifying that old cliche...."Revenge is best served by living well."

Food & drink. Education. Experience. Genes.

@tallgreentech Fallback? Our genetic information is a factor in who each person is. It is not the totality of any individual. Each factor plays a part in the total. And the strength of those factors is different for everyone.

My pinky toe and my vagina

My parents influence.

Parental negligence and a lack of adversity

That strong work ethic learned growing up in Detroit

lerlo Level 8 Aug 22, 2018
Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:160960
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.