Agnostic.com

6 5

Southern Vocabulary

When I first got to the South, I had what was called a Yankee accent and Yankee slang. I soon learned not to say "You guys" but instead "Y'all." I picked up the Southern vocabulary as if I were born here which in fact I was born in Biloxi, Ms. However, I had not lived here till I was ten years old when my father retired from the Air Force, and he asked my mother where she wanted to live. "Texas" she said, and there we went.

In Texas we normally saying words like these:

Darlin' or Dear
Y'all
Bless your heart
Ain't

And madder than an old wet hen.

Don't worry though my accent only slips into Southern when I think about it. And I may sound Southern but it ends there. I differ vastly in my beliefs. I think I just had to adapt or be run out on a rail. Oh gosh, while researching sayings I found one I just used here tonight....

Thank you kindly! Ya'll come back now, ya hear!

JustLuAnn 7 Jan 18

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

6 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Think of a country which had almost 780 languages, many now got extinct. Some says language/dialect all put together around 1700. Some suggest it is even higher. All I know, from the place where I am, if you travel 30 kms to South or North the accent changes, travel further, the dialects changes, travel 250 kms, language itself changes. So, think how much fun it is. By the way, official languages itself there are 22 and we do not have any one national language - India.

@JustLuAnn interestingly I frequently use the "thank you kindly" but shudder / horror never the "come back..." part.
When talking with a male acquaintance who you have some respect for they are frequently called by the vernacular for a vagina as in "pass me another tinnie ya useless c#nt". The term is still used disparagingly against both men and women "that c#nt Sheriff Bodine gave me another speeding ticket on highway 47!"
Where I came from thanks was expressed to female bar staff, waitresses, bus conductors and shop assistants with "thanks luv".
In Queensland a suitcase was called a "port" which I had no problem with as I remembered a few words in French.

The first 25 years of my life I lived in Buffalo New York. When I moved to Florida the accent folks had was evident- similarly southern, albeit maybe a bit softer. Since living in Florida for the past 26 years, anytime I go back to my hometown to visit, I can totally hear the difference in accents with a's and ou's, and in the wording/phrases. It never ceases to amaze me.

Having grown up in south Georgia and north Florida,. I grew up with all of the southern expressions. I particularly liked the colorful -- and often profane -- but very expressive sayings like "as useless as the tits on a boar hog or "it come a toad-strangler" (heavy rain)."

Its colder than a witches tit in a brass bra on the shady side of an iceberg.

@JustLuAnn Yeah! Or "It's cold enough to freeze the balls off a brass monkey."

@wordywalt Here's one for you. A brass monkey is a rack that held cannonballs on the old sailing ships.

On a bull down here. Whilst on bull's we have "strong as a Mallee bull's- early transport was from carts pulled by a team of oxen. The drivers were renouned for their ability to swear. Roads are frequently called 3 chain road which is the width of the road and was (apart from the actual measure) the space needed by a cart and team of oxen to do a U turn in one continuous move.
Spell - to take a rest from work
Stuffing- Stealing cattle and poddy-dodging (branding unmarked calves)
Dunny- an outside toilet used in expressions ranging from "so cold that we had to burn the funny door" through to "she bangs like a dunny door" which is not to be confused with the woman of ill repute described as the "village bike". A G.A.Wilkes has written numerous books on Australian Colloquilisms if anyone wishes to learn more at the library.

Corrections
stuffing should be duffing
Funny door should be dunny door

She looks rode hard and put up wet.

She looks rougher than a Farm to Market Road on a rainy day.

How's ya mamma an'em?

skado Level 9 Jan 18, 2018

An'em? Our Emma/ old lady / madam / and family?

your Mamma and them. (the rest of the family) @FrayedBear

"You want a Coke?"

"Sure!"

"What kind?"

"..."

"We got Co-Cola, Mountain Dew, root beer..."

"Um... I'll take a Coke."

"But what kind you want?"

I want a grape coke.

@stinkeye_a 🙂 and all made with water effectively stolen from the citizens and sold to them with tens of thousands percentage profit. Have you ever seen the canisters holding the concentrate? They carry big labels warning of corrosive acid content and the need for protective apparel when handling. Here the large companies obtain water at a fraction of the price paid by householders who usually have their water deliberately contaminated by the mind controlling poison fluoride.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:16233
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.