Agnostic.com

22 4

Drugs, Drugs, Baby....

I am especially interested in the take of believers, although this question is for all.
If scientists invented a drug that could give you the god experience, for believers my question is would this make you believe more or less in God? For atheist the question is, would this inspire you to believe in a god?

Simply_Being 5 Jan 18

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

22 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

some strong acid really changes the game

Peyote cured me of eating acid.

brilliant lol

Hell yeah, good acid changes lots of things. Like it usually makes me get the giggles and then, 7 hours later I'm watching the trees in my back yard dancing and the sun is coming up, lol

as it goes I haven't had any for 30 years or so and used to love it and everything it opened in my mind but me being me I just had to go too far and to be frank it really fucked my head up as I'm a big thinker and an all or nothing kind of person. I couldn't even talk about my experience for years without freaking out. it made the film lucy with Scarlet Johanson make complete sense as I have seen and experienced similar things. I really believe that someone on that film has taken acid. I might be wrong.

HAHAHA@Simply_Being

It's DMT, sounds like. Ayahuasca. I like Hamilton's Pharmacopoeia.

And I doubt anything would change my mind re the nature of existence. Dzogchen is some pretty trippy stuff.

My goal is to get there without the shortcut of drugs. I'd rather find my own way and get there on foot than be driven there.

Having done psychedelics (DMT, LSD, Psilocybin, Ayahuasca, and Baby Rosewood Seeds) over 100 times in the last 10 years - I've found very few answers in the sense of spirituality. If anything, I think psychedelics are just a deconstructionists tool, mostly useful to define your own inner intuitions. I'd also point out that they are a window into solely, your subconscious - your hallucinations on said drugs are systems of expression. People put a lot of weight on the interconnectivity of human experience exposed in psychedelia, however they forget the reality of the brain being a chemical/electrical system birthed by biological construction. They often assume, this is 'spirituality' or that it is some sort of 'God' element. Personally, I think it is just an opener of REM - dreaming or in the form of a scientific representation - the poly-nuclei tips of fungi, a communication system fluidly, in a surrealist notion, in a physical ecosystem.

It seems to me that could be quite easily done simply by inducing alpha waves in the brain. Electromagnetic comes immediately to mind, but if someone made a three cycle per second vibrating machine, I suppose it could be mechanically induced...

Ha! Sorry about getting side-tracked.
But, yes, I think you're right.
Psychedelia has nothing to do with spirituality and if you're looking to find proof of god from the experience - you're being a bit foolish.

@MadHadderoll not that I'm in any way qualified, but I concur. Whatever is "in there" people want to label "God", "spiritual", whatever. Doesn't make it so.

@Simply_Being it's even easier than that: meditation.

@Simply_Being lol. Not spiritual, but a point.

@stinkeye_a I disagree with meditation being a gateway toward spirituality as well because again, you are limited to, well, you in that scenario - granted you achieve a destination of depth via discipline as opposed to using psychedelics for the same purpose - the 'God' or 'Spirituality' aspect of this conversation, in my view cannot be human feeling and/or imagination. It is in my opinion entirely beyond our comprehension if such thing exists.

@MadHadderoll whatever experiences one might have, others may call it "spiritual" and I might call it something else and we'd be talking about the same experience. I don't believe in supernaturalstuff. I do however hold space for the possibility of things I don't yet know or understand and perhaps may never understand. That's the kind of stuff that I think a lot of people will call "spiritual". I might describe the same thing as "transcendental" or something else.

@MadHadderoll I do like that take, in fact my own experience I have described best with simile, in this, our brains are like a library and these drugs are like a light that illuminate all at once while also opening every book and every catalog and every drawer.... naturally, without the filters that normally act to narrow our attention it might easily seem that the occult has been revealed.

@stinkeye_a I feel that. I mean, the whole 'American Beauty' plastic bag. Serendipity in general. As a writer I'm constantly looking for idiosyncratic points of fruition - an example would be something as small as: I bit my gum pretty bad, while chewing gum a couple hours prior to writing a short story with a metaphor about blood in the teeth. Realizing where the metaphor came from got me thinking about universal causation and manifest destiny. Stupid, for sure, but 'if' right?

Hell yeah!! Hamilton is one of the luckiest mo fo's in the world!! I'd love to go to one of those Heyewasca retreats!! I would probably have a difficult time leaving the place, lol ????

I grew up in the 60's, and I can say that LSD, magic mushrooms, and peyote gave a new reality type of experience. I don't think it was a God experience. It would allow me to see things that I did not think possible. In fact I would be up for trying LSD again if I thought I could trust the source.

Yes, kids anymore don't understand how Once Upon a Time, chemists would actually sign their work... I miss the good old days.

The Harvard and Columbia University LSD experiments of the 1950's, the Mayo Clinic LSD, MDMA, and Psilosiben experiments of the present day have yielded results that closely paralleled Jung's "Vital spiritual experience" . Participants often claim to have had a "God Moment", but this is their personal perception, not fact. However this is the nature of spirituality, always personal, perspective driven and usually indefinable.

No. I had plenty of "god experiences" in my youth. But the next morning I always knew the shrooms were to blame. 😉

Oh, blame seems like much too strong a word! I just realized something though, the people with experience with drugs seem not to take issue with the term God experience. They just get right to the point of answering, while many other people are interested in a more precise definition of the term. This small observation makes me wonder now besides being fairly easy-going because we like drugs, might it have been harder for some of us drug users two rejected the notion of God when are experience quite often seems to fly right in the face of it?

Ah...touching the white light. It's not a drug...it's a state of being and yes, it does exist. For many it's just once and you're lucky it ever happened. For others it can cum on demand. All a matter of perspective. Ohoo......it can be so much fun or it can be a real bummer. You pick.

No, because I would know I was on drugs and in that knowledge, I would be aware that, more likely than not, all I experiences was a hallucination. It would not change me either for or against. I would merely think, "Damn! That LSD was Craaaazy!" haha

Sadoi Level 7 Jan 18, 2018

Mmmmhmmmm. Yeah, sure. right, uh-huh. Good thing you never did drugs or you would already know the answer to this question.

@Simply_Being ooh.. i HAVE done drugs. haha! MANY drugs. I have been clean from anything hard since age 19. However, over the last 15 years I have done Acid, molly, XTC, shrooms and I am an avid, daily pot smoker. yeaah... i understand drugs pretty good. I use drugs to seek answers, not for pleasure. I do them to open doors, in my mind, to find the deep rooted answers i seek. 😉 I do them alone and not to par-tay!

Samuel Taylor Coleridge wrote Kubla Khan under the influence of smoking opium. However, no amount of smoking opium will make anyone into a poet. I have heard people say that such and such drug expands the mind. I think that the only think that a drug expands is the profits of the pharmaceutical company and the pockets of the pushers and dealers.

I can honestly say that I have learned some very interesting things under the influence of drugs that I perhaps would not have had it not been for the drugs.... I guess being on drugs is sort of like being in love? Scientifically speaking they really just make us Dumber, but sometimes people in the Dumber state are able to create beautiful things like songs and poems and music and art....

If scientists invented a drug that could make people believe that little green men from outer space visited the earth every two weeks, would that inspire me to believe in little green men from outer space, certainly not!

The mere notion of taking a mind or consciousness altering drug to believe in god or little green men only points to a divorce from reality.

@AstralMax, I don't know why I easily agree about Little Green Men but disagree about God experience. It seems they should be the same but the fact is we do have a molecule, DMT, which gives the majority of people and experience that they describe as God awareness. Sort of like people eating peyote and tripping pyramids and waterfalls. Not only do we not know how a drug can induce such states, but we are also fairly unable to interpret whether or not it is even meaningful.

As an atheist - it would depend on the experience.. 😉 Although my first thought was to say "no it wouldn't", because if the experience was drug-induced that could be seen as evidence of its artificiality, I'm not sure that is actually the case. I don't entirely rule out the possibility that god could exist and that a drug could induce a state of increased awareness that would make me realise that he/she/it did. I think it is incredibly unlikely however, and if someone else told me that they had had such an experience I would explain it in terms of psychology rather than theism.

That is a very interesting take! Drugs.Telecom?

Ummmm, LSD?

I might believe anything if I took enough drugs. But my belief wouldn't make it real.

It would not make me believe anything about a god, because I would know it was caused by the drug.

I have no idea what a god experience would be like, but I am sure it would be different from other peoples.

Atheist here. Done it and no. I appreciated the experience of expanded perspective and the feeling of universal interconnection but it didn't inspire me to believe in god.

Not sure what the questioner intended with the phrase "the God experience."

I personally might enjoy the experience but I'd be aware that it was the drug that gave me the experience.

I'm quite certain that whatever drug is or does, soon enough a certain population people would start to worship the drug as a god in its own right.

Let me give a little more shape to this question. Let's say that the god experience is this, you feel a little Giddy and happy and high and also convinced absolutely that this feeling you have of connectedness to everything is entirely factually due to God. The drug makes you feel as if you were stupid not to have realized this before. This effect lasts as long as you are on the drug.

So if it alters my sense of reality such that I necessarily believe my euphoria is caused by God? Well, the question answers itself -- lacking the mental capacity to critically question the source of my euphoria, I'd pretty obviously take more euphoria!

@ErikGunderson of course, when you come down off the drug the feeling leaves you...

...feeling very very foolish indeed.

There is a chemical that is in our brains that helps us dream. I know some of you may have the name. It is abbreviated. They say if you take it, you can see, "It, him." Why would I want that? It should have been here when I was born to make sure that my parents were fit, for example. Or, help us when we are ready to pass on to the afterlife. The answer is, "Hell no." Tell it to make me win the lottery, so that I can really help Humanity.

DMT

Yes! That's it! I thought so. Thank you, so much.

LSA naturally occurs in the human brain. It's responsible for dreaming and color vision. The synthetic( Manufactured or from an outside source) compound LSD is a relatively stable analog. However, consumption is always at a higher level than what occurs naturally.

More than likely, if I enjoyed the feeling of whichever drug it was that gave me the God experience, I'd still believe in aliens and Bigfoot before my drugged up ass ever would be inspired to believe in a God. What it would inspire me to do, is to go find some more of them drugs, lol ????????????????

Of course my question is we need to define... what is the god experience because if I am going to take something that will make me feel that I am shitting an earth? Or me cut my penis and nailed to a cross? Or set my mother in law house on fire and call it hell? Or walk naked in a church during a sunday service and expect to be recognize as the Man returning to earth and select the more prettier for my rapture? Like I say often enough... There is No Such Medication.

Nope. I don't want to believe in things that do not exist. Even if it made me feel good.

My god experience? that drug will be a "dud". There are plenty out there with that effect. Already invented dude.

First of all, what is "the god experience"? Does that mean you experience the presence of god or what it's like to be god?
Secondly, are you asking, "If you directly alter the way you perceive, would you trust your altered perceptions more than your baseline perceptions?" That kinda seems rhetorical to a room full of skeptics and rational thinking people.

What would it mean to you?

@Simply_Being Wouldn't mean anything. I can't imagine ever being so high I would think I was god, and I think my mind is far too rational to even think god was real just (or especially) because I was under the influence of a drug.

@JeffMurray I might need to introduce you to my little friend peyote. LOL

@Simply_Being I'm not even allowed to smoke cigarettes...

@Simply_Being Reading more of the comments and replies, I'm even less sure of the question. Are you talking about continuing to take this drug? Or just one and done?

@JeffMurray I feel you bro, I'm finding that my children, having grown, are much stricter than my wife ever was

@JeffMurray I meant just once and done when I first asked the question. The unlikely scenario of being drugged continually was an effort to explain how I perceive normality as it relates to A continuing stream of consciousness, and that, was an attempt to explain my disbelief in objectivity. Good, are you all caught up now? LOL

@Simply_Being I don't think anyone here would disagree there's no objectivity. Simply knowing the worst form of evidence is an eyewitness account tells you that. But more specifically, all of what we perceive is dependant on the sensory information we take in that can easily be augmented by neurochemistry and biology.

I’m confused.. or did you just describe Heroine..? And I suppose you’re considering our Agnostic folks as ‘believers?’ Honestly, I’d consider challenging heroin’s addictive ability, once. But there’d be no expectations of a ‘god,’ and if one ‘appeared,’ I’d definitely know what to blame 🙂

Varn Level 8 Jan 18, 2018

I don't consider the agnostics to be believers. I do suspect there are some xstain trolls about though. There is no Christian on Earth that can honestly say dishonesty is beneath them.

@Simply_Being I’ve met a number of Atheist’s too honest for our own good 😉

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:16270
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.