Agnostic.com

16 10

As I am getting older, I am becoming more intolerant of religion and sometimes feel irritated that there are churches all over the place with signs up and religious signs on highways, even community events where they advertise as "Welcome to our community of the Lord" type of crap.

Even shopping there are all these trendy signs that have religious quotes on them and I am getting more and more angry about how religion shoves itself into my life. Signs like this one make me want to scream!!!

Anyone else feel like this?

Teresa 6 Oct 16

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

16 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

You oughta see Fleming Island in Florida... Not a single Small Church... they are like forts, like a Huge military complex of faith and bullshit. My daughter's condo faces the huge parking lot of one of those churches. During their 4th of July Festival Fireworks were right on my window.

Yes, I defiantly want to scream! It’s irritating! Everywhere you turn where I live is a damn Church. All they do is teach the same crap over and over. It’s like hey just keep promoting their stupid belief!!! It is already bad enough that it reads on money, saying,” In God we trust.” It should say,” In science we trust.”

As for the private stuff you see. That have a perfect right to be nuts! Lol!

Separation of church and state. Unfortunately that is not always the case.

Everyday.

Oh their God YES! It is suffocating. It is everywhere.. in US pledge and anthem and even on our money here. But at least I think most places that require swearing to the truth stopped requiring it be done on the bible.

DeiP Level 5 Oct 18, 2017

No, other people can believe or do what they want as long as they aren't trying to convert me. It actually used to bother me a bit, but i've gotten over it and focused on finding other things to enjoy. Kinda weird how this happened in reverse for you

I think it because I now believe those that are very religious are sheep, unable to think for themselves and it feels like they are trying to indoctrinate everyone by always having it in your face.

most of us believe in some sort of social construct or other. the majority believe in money and corporations which are a figment of our imaginations like buddhism. The churches don't have to report where the collections go to, hence fund some very dodgy ventures. If they would just look after the poor and weak I'd be all for them . They often don't so I too have had enough. Read " Sapiens", it puts it all in context.

I think the ones that bother me most are the little shrines at the side of the road for accident victim, what the hell is with that anyway? Glorification of the spot where someone died or just to remind the believers that their god is an asshole. I think it is a sick culture that does this it does nothing to stop accidents or encourage sober driving. When did grave markers stop being a good enough memorial to the deceased?

In my state, they also have crosses by the side of the PUBLIC right of way. If I had a dog I'd take him to relieve him/herself right there on the cross. Also, what an eyesore when they leave them up forever.

@silvereyes and @Penultimate , It has got so bad here thatchy are being allowed to put up benches and alters at these eye sores like little churches. The Church of Cody Who Drove His Truck Threw the Stop Sign While Drunk and Killed 3 Other People, its just f'ing sick. One highway in this evangelical infested area has a dozen of these things in an 8 mile stretch plus a bunch of crosses as well and its an excellent safe highway.

It irritates me that churches are tax exempt organizations.

They are not completely tax exempt in Canada, Pastors pay income tax, and churches have property taxes.It does bother me that their collections are tax exempt and not declarable!

Tell me about it! I used to work at a grocery store as a cashier, the amount of scam tax exempters as I like to call them, occur way too often. Some of them come to my line to check out with personal things, and dare talk in front of me about how they use that privilege and easily get away with it. No wonder they all come dressed in expensive clothing head to toe. Sickens me. If religious organizations in this country paid taxes, we won't suffer so much.

Do you ever wonder why, with all the churches in a community, they have the most serious problems with homelessness? I wouldn't mind (yes, I would!) if they spent some of their money on helping people, rather then keep asking for more money. What a scam, in this nation founded on the separation of State and church!

I just scream. It makes me feel better. When asked why I just say it makes me feel better.

SamL Level 7 Oct 17, 2017

Yes. I happen to be gay. If I just be myself and don't hide who I am, I get accused by religious persons of throwing my sexual orientation in their face, when I am just being honest about who I am.

I sometimes view religion as a contagious mental disorder. Most of their ideas are pretty nuts.

However, the one (positive) thing religion provides is a sense of community and belonging. As social creatures humans are hard wired to seek that out. So although religion involves nutty ideas and "magical thinking" which means totally discarding common sense and logic, because we are hard wired to seek out a sense of community and belonging, people will abandon rationality and reality for simple nonsensical answers of circular logic to feel like they belong and are accepted (not for who they are, but for what they claim to believe).

I think having to hide who you are is horrible. One of my brothers is gay and so many believe that mean he is promiscuous, Hahaha, he has been with the same man for 37 years and they were married 15 years ago, I agree it gives a sense of belonging but it is still ludicrous to me it would be like having and I believe trolls are real community. How can "smart" people be so stupid?

It's nonstop, it's automatically assumed that everyone is a believer of some kind.
Not only do they plaster their signs all over the place, they hide them in sneaky places too.
In And Out Burger likes to put bible verses on the bottom lip of their soda cups.

In and Out has been doing that since they started. Although In and Out has the best fast food burger, I would rather go to a pub establishment fo a burger and pay higher prices (and also be able to bet a beer) in part because I won't support a religious agenda. I also wont' patronize Chik-Fil-A.

Yea Chick Fil A is just straight up homophobic.

I live in Canada so there are no In And outs or Chic Fil A's Thanks goodness!

Me too! I almost feel like I am getting more religion as I get older due to feeling much more intolerant of religion. They are everywhere, so I am constantly thinking how stupid / ignorant they are, where as when I was a non-thinking Christian I could drive around and really not think about religion the whole time. I think the churches, events, etc., just trigger us more as we get older, so thank-goodness there are sites like this where we can vent nowadays and meet other people experiencing the same stuff.

I consider myself a militant atheist, in that, I have fought against my local school district and government over the separation of church and State. For example, in the school district they promote "All Pro Dads" a christian organization in the school, handing out flyers about after school church programs, Christmas choirs with religious songs, and coaches praying with the team. Within the local government, I have been fighting to remove a cross from the court house, and the fire departments chaplain condemning non Christians in the news letter.
So, yes, I get so sick of there special privileges and propaganda everywhere!

yes it`s so annoying in your face all the time

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:1629
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.