Agnostic.com

18 2

How can people think that the earth is flat?

For ions many humans have proven that the earth is round. However many skeptic still believe the earth is flat. we have satellites airplanes cell phones cars and much more. The math and physics that makes all of this technology work is the same math that proves that the earth is round. Why is it that people choose to believe otherwise. I do not understand how people can think like that. I mean You look at the moon, the sun other stars and planets and they are round. Why would you think that the earth is the only planet that is flat.

Yourdaddy22 4 Jan 18

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

18 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

It's weird, isn't it? Why don't they get on the phone to someone in a different time zone and watch the sunset together? Why don't they go on a round-the-world trip (some of them could definitely afford it)? Why didn't they watch the lunar eclipse we just had? Why don't they show us the edge?

I am starting to wonder whether the flat earth society people are actually perpetuating a scam, and it is actually an effort on their behalf, to hoodwink the public into " making complete idiots of themselves to believe such rot. so maybe the flat earth folk are having the last laugh after all.

The newest theory about the "flat Earth" phenomena is a social experiment. I've seen some videos related to this on YouTube. Some were pretty good. They were probably convincing to people who are: a)gullible; b)thick-headed; c)ignorant of Photoshop. Not entertaining. Just...sad.

Do a search and type in Anti-intellectualism and the dumbing down of America by Ray Williams. Then you'll understand.

Great article.

We have not "proven" that the Earth is round. But, yes, we have overwhelming evidence that this is basically spherical in shape. Sorry, I'm not trying to be smart ass. I'm a science teacher and almost everyday I remind my students not to write "We proved X's law of X" in their laboratory notebook.

There is very little we can actually "prove". I think therefore I am is about the only thing I can think of off the top of my head. Beyond that, everything know to varying degrees of certainty. That the Earth is spherical in shape has overwhelming evidence. You are absolutely right, these people are absurd. My hunch is that they simply have found a new and very silly way to get attention which they apparently crave.

It has been postulated by scientists that the world is actually an oblate spheroid, meaning that the globe is somewhat stretched out at the equator and drawn in at the poles due to the centrifugal forces brought about by the high speed of rotation felt at the equator. This fact was first acknowledged by Sir Isaac Newton in1687. the pole distance has been set at 13 miles greater at the poles than at the North and South poles.

You are correct about proof. Science doesn't do proof. It collects evidence, and on this issue there is plenty!

@madmac The Earth's shape has been very precisely measured by satellites. If a spherical Earth is a first approximation, an oblate spheroid is a reasonable second approximation, but still not good enough for many purposes (GPS etc.) All of these are a far cry from flat!

@Coffeo thank you, there is an entire field of study devoted to measuring the earth- it's called geodesy. Eratosthenes and Archimedes pioneered this field thousands of years ago, and even then they knew it was not flat...

Same way people can think there's an imaginary figure to worship .

Same way there are people who think the person in the White House is a man of the imaginary figure !

It was a tavistock experiement in the conspiracy forums like godlike prod and lunatic outpost...they actually had a post explaining the counter intelligences.

I Think it started with those flat world maps from elementary school. They used Greenland to measure the football field. I remember it shockingly out of scale.

What really pisses me off are the people with serious degrees who call themselves scientists who try to make fundamentalist creationism respectable by calling it intelligent design and presenting it as a legitimate theory equal with evolution. I also hate the people who say "evolution isn't proven fact, it's just a theory." You know what else is a theory? Gravity, but it's pretty much unanimously agreed on

I have these same exact arguments with a Christian friend of mine. Hahahaha.

Firstly I should say that I do believe the earth is a globe BUT how do I know that? I've no direct experience. Sure I've been to other countries but I have never travelled all the way around. Basically I only know it because I've been told it and it seems to fit with a whole load of other stuff I've been told.
So maybe they've been told its flat and that fits with other stuff they've been told...? 🙂

I'm sure you're right but that's kind of my point. I havnt experienced that and neither have most other people. So I only have your word for it 🙂 (which I'm quite prepared to accept)

Use your powers of critical thinking Jimmy.

I understand your reasoning. However if you are gullible enough to believe a hear say then that's a totally huge issue. Nevertheless if your reasoning is that it fits with other things i've been told, it should follow that if the moon is round the sun is round the planets are round, then why is the earth flat. I mean it really is simple math also. If the numbers math and physics are too much to calculate and handle then all of these people should stop their argument that the earth is flat.

Not only that, but something like 17% of adults in this country still believe the sun orbits the earth

How can people believe in god?

[livescience.com]

Always wondered how all of my buddies when drawing cars draw the engine and the driver inside the car while I couldn't figure out a 4 door car because I could only see 2 doors at a time. So I asked them where are the other 2 doors... on the other side that is why you don't see them... So how the fuck up you drawing the engine when you don't see it because is cover up by hood and front panels? same thing with the driver... just draw the damn head in the window? People see and understand what they want to see and understand... thus god is among many of them and not us and then again many here behave like they need to start war on god on a bi-weekly basis to feel better among themselves instead of just ignoring the failed concept.

That's Hilarious my friend!

@Yourdaddy22 Thank You.

It's not much different from creationism, some people are just that ignorant and stupid. Combination of poor education, dubious faith, and some conspiracy bullshit sprinkled in for good measure. Some people are just that gullible to buy into any nonsense that conflicts with reality, and they want to stay in their bubble of ignorance regardless of how many fact bombs you hurl at them.

Well they can try to keep sailing our oceans until they fall off if they like. Or take flights starting in Alaska flying all the way across the world until they end up falling of the face of the earth or back in Alaska.

Sacha Level 7 Jan 18, 2018

I think there is a an element of distrust in any authority combined with a lack of effort to learn basic math and science.

jeffy Level 7 Jan 18, 2018

What I can't figure out is, if the earth was flat what would the motivation be to convince everyone that it's round?

Hi FortyTwo. You've 'hit the nail on the head'. That's the motivation of the 'mind set' behind the ignorance.

That is hilarious when I see a flat earther I will ask them that.

This one completely stumps me. But my new favorite quote is a tweet from one of their leaders: "The flat earth society has members all around the globe"

Keyword: Globe

Keyword: around

ha ha ha ha ha!!!

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:16361
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.