Agnostic.com

8 10

What is the real problem?

Can people who believe in unevidenced claims be trusted enough NOT to use their faulty, emotional reasoning skills as their conscious & unconscious, prioritized power of deduction in all areas of life?

I know that every brain is riddled with biases that can cause us to be intellectually lazy, taking mental shortcuts that can result in inaccurate interpretations of what we observe, hear and understand.

I think the scientific method is the best method to direct us away from that line of reasoning.

I think that one of the most dangerous influences religion has had on culture, is the ease with which people deploy intellectual sloth and wilfull ignorance.

Faith in things unevidenced is like a mental gym for cognitive biases.

So often I hear and read things that basically come down to, “ I don’t care if they believe in nonsense, so long as separation of church and state is upheld.”

I don’t think that’s possible, because beliefs inform actions.
Faith (an emotional endeavor) informs votes.

I think it’s irresponsible not to care about the fact that the majority of humans hold firmly, not only to bullshit beliefs, but to a method of reasoning that inevitably leads them to those beliefs.

Education is the only solution I can think of that can change that.
But if we don’t care.. then we’ll keep getting what when’re getting, which is a threat to our survival as a species.

AMGT 8 Jan 18

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

8 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I hate the use of freak ass words. spend half my time looking up the words' Wow you use big words ya'll must be really really smart. Just use common english, we don't care how smart you think you are

Ron; these aren't "big words". Oh, and English is a proper noun; capitalized. Honestly mate, get/read Reader's Digest (I do)... about the same "reading level" (Cloze test) as the above.

WHAT?? On boy.....

What, like unevidenced and irresponsible?

It all comes down to who's in power.

I could just as easily see the powers that be (in some near-future dystopia) preventing me from getting a certain kind of job because I'm an atheist so I obviously can't be trusted around children or whatever.

Can ideas be dangerous?

I say no; only actions are dangerous. I say this because I've known deeply religious types who have had no problem whatsoever fully accepting, respecting, and appreciating non-believers. And I know there are some pedophiles out there who know that sexual contact with a child is wrong and harmful and they purposely keep themselves away from children. (No idea how the numbers break down on this.)

So at the very least, I've seen that it's possible to have ideas and not act on them.

The way to combat troublesome ideas is education: logic, critical thinking, exposure to different platforms. Give people options. Give them tools. Model value placed on scientific method.

I care. I care very much. I want to see society value empirical evidence. I want to see public policy insulated from the vagaries of "faith". There has to be a way to do that... I don't know what it is, bit I know what it's not.

The moment I start telling mentally competent adults that they're organizing their minds incorrectly is the moment I open myself up to that same criticism.

Faith in the unprovable a.k.a. religion has been around since the start and been a huge part of human life. You're not going to convince people it doesn't have a place in public life--not yet. Educate, educate, educate, and slowly change culture. Better than backlash and back-slide.

Education is the hope that you can jump through the hoops. Get through the hoops...then what? Your peers say: "hey...that was pretty good jumping". The survival of our species? The foregone conclusion is that we must end.

@AMGT "End"? I'd sub "evolve" or unfold from our present make up... genetically, developmentally... and of course their reflections in mentality and socially.

There’s a 5 billion year countdown until nothingness. Humans will have either birthed several daughter species or failen in numbers, population collapsing below the sustainable threshold until we all die out. Either way, 5 billion years to get off of this planet, probably the whole system will be wasted. And that’s if planetary level catastrophic events do not occur prior. @BobFenner

@NothinnXpreVails Considering the "age" of our species, "modern" civilization ( a few hundred yr.s); even the apparent age of our sun (about 4 billion years), 5 bil. is a bunch.

Yes, but it will end. @BobFenner

@NothinnXpreVails All things must pass.

People want salvation from the principles they create.as the holistic literature talks of handing response to a higher order...when really the bliss is light charged in heart center.so I guess using dogma can relieve and believe a mental anguish...

the salvation is religion, when a in/div/i/dual has succumbed, someone at a crossroad, the hardened self principles, cause dis/satisfaction in progress,traumas celebration change, age. so in the process of past present future actions. they are prioritized as pro/re/action so a positive opposed to negative outlook,as we progress without mediation our intrinsic/feminine energy self seeks satisfaction/ease, achievement astute / run astray cause fray.this is unthinking the personality and can be place on a personality chart some derives from genetic linage, external influence and internal conflicts.... religion offers a higher prospective of salvation, to heel self duality. divided is sense of complexity, it creates lattice or phobia as we progress in time demon/man our self.. we livevil in ego centric based fear base delusions of external influence and intrinsic mediation.religion has limits in knowledge such as the dogma.the stigma is social acceptance of self whether attitude thinking process or personality unthinking reply. but in some sense it does help the person take the path,acknowledge issues etc..

Good question..
I don't know, but I'm trusting fewer and fewer people, especially their judgement...

@AMGT unfortunately....

I think Logic should be a mandatory course in every grade, not an elective in college. If people learned it like they learned math and their language, maybe they'd know how to use it. Of course, we even have people on this site that use fallacious arguments, so I don't see this as a problem that stems from religion specifically.

I agree with you about education being some of the solution.

The churches, especially the Megachurches, want to keep their parishioners uneducated and gullible. This helps keep the money flowing.

It also influences their base to teach these uninformed delusions to their children which just keeps the cycle going.

It's an insidious disease that doesn't seem to have a cure anywhere in the near future.

It will be a while before religion and mysticism are outlived.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:16366
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.