Agnostic.com

11 1

There is a utilitarian Church right by my house thinking of attending services. Any thoughts or suggestions?

I wasnt planning to do anything this sunday as it stood and its a 4 minute walk from my house so its not like its a burden.

engineer_in_nj 6 Jan 18

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

11 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I go to a UU congregation every Sunday! If you like the community aspects or any ritualistic aspects of church, but don't believe in a god ( which I assume you don't considering the website) I would reccomend it to you.Some congregations lean very humanist while others are more woo filed, but that's something you would need to find out for yourself.

got to say it worked out.

Could you ask a few friends over or go out to brunch? Why do you feel a need to go to a church?

I am not lonely I just thought I would give this a shot. UU is supposedly very secular.

A wonderful place where contemplation is allowed in abundance...not all Unitarian Universalist groups are alike! My phone kept autocorrecting the word Unitarian wrong!!!

A wonderful place where contemplation is allowed in abundance...

Do you mean Unitarian? Or, Unitarian Universalist?

Issa Level 5 Jan 18, 2018

We really could use a Utilitarian Church. Churches tend to be full of blah blah and not doing anything useful.

Har har. Ok you guys got me.

No, really. There are UU Churches in this area all anti Climate change with lots of blah blah,

but the only person I know who actually done anything, has long had a big solar heating panel that supplies hot water and warm air, and now that the technology has arrived has nine photovoltaic panels and generates as much electricity as he uses, is a Republican. Action vs blah blah

I go to a UU church. I've been going for a few months, and I really have been enjoying it. They have a really good pastor who told us that they don't expect you to check your brain at the door like a lot of churches. They've also mentioned a few times that they welcome non believers, so I feel welcome. I always feel better after I leave the services than I did before, so as long as that is happening, I'll probably keep going.

Might you mean Unitarian Universalist ?

Yes

A Useful Church? Sure you don't mean Unitarian?

I did. Spellcheck makes fools of us all.

@engineer_in_nj -- That's why I don't rely on Spellcheck on automatic. Adjust your settings and check your own spelling. It works better.

Enjoy your walk.

I attend a Unitarian Universalist church out here in Oregon. My church has an active humanist group that is mostly atheist. As an atheist, humanist, I feel quite at home there. I mostly go for a community that is accepting of me as an atheist. I don't have to censure what I say. Others might not agree with me on some topics, but that is fine. Will say that each UU church has it own feel, and some are way more christian than ours is. Don't have much experience with east coast UU churches. Give it a try, might be a good fit for you. And if not, just leave.

I agree that there is a fairly good mix, the one I attended in the mid-west had a buddhist minister for a while, then we got another one in that I did not care for, which is why I left. It was very humanist, but being a believer/agnostic myself I found people whom I could talk to who were open minded. We had New Agers, Atheists, etc... I was one of the only Yogi/meditators there.

just got back. I found it nice. Will go again. Thanks for the advice.

Glad that it worked for you. What I have found is that each UU church has a different feel to it.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:16385
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.