Agnostic.com

7 9

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

7 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

There's a HUGE design flaw in this study. They asked people how motivated they were. There is a huge body of research that shows:1) people don't know what they think, 2) people will lie; and 3) people will take cues from the study to tell the researchers what they want to hear. The only way I'd buy this is if they measured behavior that indicated increased motivation. For example, find some measure of job seeking the week before they taught (perhaps some percentage of applications sent to appropriate jobs) and then again the week after. It's easy to say you're motivated. Hell, I've been 'motivated' to lose weight for the last ten years. I know how -- I have even coached people. But I can't do it myself.

I agree that it wasn't exactly a rigorous study, but I don't think it was meant to be. They were just following a hunch, and it came up with some interesting results.

While I agree in principle, this looks like it was meant to be a rough indicator of what makes people feel motivated (and thus will self-report that they are). And the conclusion does feel intuitively right: don't make it all about you, what you should do, etc., make it about others. Giving others help, support and advice definitely helps me more than seeking advice for myself from others. Maybe because in helping others you are really helping yourself -- seeing yourself in others.

But I totally agree, I wouldn't take this as a scientific proof of anything. Just an interesting data point.

When i work in this area the only snswer i have for this is that i enjoy truth. My second understanding is that making oneself feel welcome where doing work helps quite a bit. This falls into the area they were discussing somewhat. Perhaps it even brings forth a simple kindness rather than a vacancy.

It's a gift to be simple. It's a gift to be free. It's a gift to live in the place you ought to be.

So, I'm to take advice on a subject, topic, or activity that the "advisor" has failed at.
Hmmmmm.
😉

Perhaps this is why groups like AA et. al. work for a lot of people. People who are struggling themselves are there helping others with the same struggles.

Interesting perspective. Kinda like kinetic learning in physical training or combat sports. When you teach it reinforces the neuropathways. Makes sense. Thanks for the share.

I am of advice to give. I just figure if I'm aware of stuff then everyone is so they don't require my advice. I may need to rethink that now.

Am full of advice, I meant.

There's something to this. It helps also to be able to listen to your own advice. You get two plusses: advice and confidence.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:165952
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.