Agnostic.com

16 1

If you could end all wars, or end all religions, which one would you choose?

• 9 votes
  • 10 votes
Sarcasm 6 Oct 17

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

16 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

When was the LAST war to protect our freedom ? They send our kids to fight for GOLD, OIL, and DRUGS. (GOD). They tell our troops the are fighting for GOD & COUNTRY. Bullshit, what GOD wants wars? If your religion requires you to hate someone, you new a new religion!

I will have to go for wars here. Religion is terrible in soooo many ways, but it is not the sole cause of war, death and destruction. So we get rid of religion does not mean we get rid of racism, poverty, bigotry, sadism, etc. At least by ending wars the world has some time to recuperate and if war is not an option, then to find other ways of hating each other or finally working together for a common good. There are plenty of good religious folk out there who would never dream of killing someone or sponsoring someone to do so. The fact that they currently do it is out of ignorance and not their innate will to cause pain to others. This is obvious but No War = Peace, and in peace all people have the chance to flourish.

Most wars are started because of religious beliefs, and many more non-war atrocities are committed in the name of religion. Without religion, almost all wars would be ended as well as millions of hate crimes, atrocities, and unjust cruelties throughout human existence. We wouldn't have this cheeto-fingered, anus-mouthed, possum-haired insult to idiots everywhere leading this country.

Imperialist fought to have access to other countries resources, religion dogma helps this purpose but if it was possible I would choose to end envy, corruption and fear.

Most wars are fought due to religions while god is always on both sides!

I'll be in the huge minority here, but ending all wars. It is true that most wars have been fought along religious lines, or at least religion was used as an excuse by those in positions of power, but the bloodiest and most savage wars have been fought over political ideals and a general mood of scapegoatism (is this a word?). Remember that Hitler was going after Judaism as a race of people, not as a religion.

Ending all religion would eliminate one of the largest sources of division in our world, which would in turn tend to eliminate much of the conflict in our world. Too bad you only allowed two choices.

Because without religion you wouldn't have an excuse to go to war.

Religion of course. That would reduce the number of pointless wars by probably 75%. When people start realizing that this is all that we have, people would hopefully start getting along a little better, to advance all of humanity.

Religion teaches that there’s a better life beyond this one, and that those who suffer and die for the cause in this life will be greatly rewarded. This is why Islamic extremists fly airplanes into buildings, or Christians get orgasmic when presented with the possibility of war against black and brown people. This is what has made the war machine in the U.S. so popular.

Non-religious people, on the other hand, don’t have that delusion, and so when conflict arises, they have to take a completely different approach to resolution. For them, there are real consequences, and they’re permanent—meaning that those who sacrifice, truly sacrifice.

So when it comes time to decide how to hand hostile neighbors, leaders have to think seriously about what they’re asking their armies to do. Firsts of all, can this be resolved politically so that men and women don’t have to put their lives at risk? If not, is war absolutely necessary—for the good of the country and the protection of its citizens. Does it need to be an all-out war, or can they find other, creative ways to handle the situation.

Without religion, there are no lures: no afterlife, no crown, no virgins, no eternal bliss, and your families know that if you do sacrifice, they will never see you again. So IF it is decided that war is necessary, then the only line non-religious leaders have is to say: “you may die in this battle, but it’s for the protection of your families. If we succeed, they will have a better life because of that sacrifice, and we will have diminished the powers of those who would seek to bring harm to those we love.”

Take away the “God is on our side” ideology, and nobody feels recklessly compelled send men and women to die for unnecessary causes, like oil or a profiteering war machine.

Some people are crazy and would probably still be that way without religion. There would still be greedy and uncaring people. Some people are just followers, lazy, ECT. If there were no religions people would still be evil, crazy, selfish, ECT. Trust there would still be war if humanity has anything to do with it.

religion through out history has been the focal point for most wars and the excuse for many others

i think theres been alot of wars that have nothing to do with religion lol, or that even if religion wasn't involved thered still be a war

Neither of which really make any sense. How exactly do we define war? Would there no longer be any disagreements between people? Would there never be physical altercations between individuals? or does this only apply on an international scale, in which case not much would change overall. and without religion people would still be gullible and superstitious about other things just as they are now. The only difference would be in where they place their dogmas. The problems are not war and religion, but rather violence and dogmatism.

general premise is world peace or no religion, which would u choose.

I voted for ending all religions because if we did that many wars would have no reason for happening.
I know it wouldn't stop everything, but it would put a serious dent in them.

if the religion wasn't there i figured we'd find a different reason to fight over things tbh

It may sound odd, but it would be my hope that without religion, we would have no wars.

Religion is only annoying to me, it could be something that only has to affect those who wish to delude themselves. War how ever sucks it effect everyone not only those involved in it but, those future generation still left to deal with the unresolved issues it created that often lead to yet more war.
I would vote to rid the world of both because religion stands at the root of most wars, but that option was not offered.

There will always be war but if you get rid of all religions at least there will be less war.

SamL Level 7 Oct 17, 2017

there will always probably be religion too, thats why its a hypothetical question

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:1667
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.