Agnostic.com

4 16

Janus Lake Hike- "I'm going down there?"

Today with three women, I hiked to Janus Lake, WA for 7.5 miles total with 1,500' of elevation gain. Janus Lake was beautiful. We ate lunch at the lake.

Cold nights = no mosquitoes. I love Fall in the mountains.

We loved sweet alpine blueberries beside the trail. My lips were blue.

"We were up there," Karen said, pointing to a high ridge.

I had a wonderful time! This was my first challenging hike since injuring my foot on July 18.

"You did great," Karen said.

First, for over an hour, we hiked up to a saddle on a high ridge, then descended 700 feet in elevation to Lake Janus. There is something demoralizing about hiking a steep trail, then looking far down at the lake, your destination.

"I don't want to go down there, then haul myself back up," I thought darkly, looking at Snow Lake years ago. "There are probably lots of mosquitoes at the lake." I was right.

After lunch at Janus Lake, we climbed up to the ridge again, and descended to the cars.

"Don't slog in the bog. Get high on the ridges!" has been my hiking motto since age 21.

This colorful, 6" diameter mushroom popped up beside the trail while we were at the lake. Amazing.

LiterateHiker 9 Aug 29

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

4 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I can smell it… With a cabin at the base of Mt Hood, my dad would study forest service maps the night before (force) marching we 4 kids into a pristine Cascade lake the following day.. The late sixties, we’d have it to ourselves! The oldest, I’d take charge of ‘setting up camp’ and gathering firewood for our eventual cookout, as dad fished. Hummingbirds, Rhododendrons, Waterdogs, hotdogs, Rainbow & Brook trout, echos, the cleanest air on earth.. and yes, mosquitoes!

We traveled light, day trips only. And yes, nothing like having climbed a ridge, only to look down on your destination below. Switch-back city - and no shortcuts.. But as you know, it’s as much the journey as it is the destination. Miss them Cascades, but looking forward to some more adventures on the Blue Ridge as Fall kicks in ‘over east’ 🙂 Beautiful shots, thanks, for the memories ~

Varn Level 8 Aug 30, 2018

@Varn

Wonderful story! "Forced march," was hilarious.

I love your descriptive detail. You are a great storyteller.

Great to see your ankle is back to nature full steam ahead!!!

I no longer hike like other people do - I use my own invention, a pair of "gallopers." No more twisted knees, sore feet, or even getting tired.
I can move at the speed of a slow jog uphill and down, on rocky, steep, or trails with sliding debris, and dangerous footing, without fear of slipping.

I don't even feel the weight of the backpack, and because I lope on "four feet," animals and birds take me for a deer and ignore me.

I came up with this invention in self-defense after my ex talked me into an Appalachian Trail overnight winter hike with a backpack almost half my weight, and I got blisters, almost blew a knee, and was miserable the entire time as the backpack dug into my back. Furthermore he kept complaining that I was "too slow" and began talking about taking a "through hike."

In 2009 I made myself a pair of gallopers and began zooming in circles around him on the steepest roads, until he was so annoyed he begged me to make him a pair. Then, because his legs were longer, he was STILL able to go faster than I did, so resumed complaining that I was "too slow."

I kept improving the design after I moved to Thailand in 2010, and came up with one with flexible "joints" that keeps heavy backpacks from shifting as I bound down the steepest trails.

So far, my clumsy homemade prototypes can only fit in a backpack, but if I can get a licensing deal where they use carbon fiber telescoping poles, it might fit in a large purse.

I actually did find a company that wanted to license it, but changes in patent laws scared me off.

What are "gallopers"?
I don't think I've ever heard of them.

@Creepingcharle You never heard of them because I invented them in 2009, like I just said. I wrote up a provisional patent and located a company that wanted to license it, but then I read some new patent laws and saw that now I wouldn't be able to make a profit. I'm not sure if they've corrected the laws yet..but after that I got cancer and lost track of it.

I use the gallopers myself, but getting them on the market involves getting a licensing deal with a company using a provisional patent, but one that is willing to pay for a regular patent in my name as part of my cut..VERY expensive.

@birdingnut
Sounds awesome!
I can't imagine what they are but I hope you get your patent and make a billion dollars.

@Creepingcharle Thanks! I wish it were that easy. Maybe it is, but because I've teaching in Thailand since 2010, I have been reluctant to enter into negotiations since I didn't have the money and time off from teaching in case if I'd be asked to fly out to meet board members, etc, as is usual in these cases. I could use Skype, but of course, it's important that people can try out the prototypes.

Thanks for sharing. Hiking is a unique experience.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:166997
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.