Agnostic.com

4 3

Legalization of all drugs

Do you think all drugs should be legalized and their possession decriminalized?

• 12 votes
  • 2 votes
  • 6 votes
  • 0 votes
  • 5 votes
  • 2 votes
Lucignolo 6 Aug 30

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

4 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Adults should be allowed to do whatever they choose with their own bodies so long as nobody else is harmed. The money that is spent on the war against drugs could be better spent for mental and physical health programs to treat the causes of addiction.

The 2 deadliest drugs are already legal-alcohol & tobacco.

Carin Level 8 Aug 31, 2018

Wow... Good point

@Lucignolo It is--but does it mean that them being legal is why more people use & kill themselves with them? Or does it mean it's just silly to have much less lethal drugs be illegal while those 2 are killing thousands a year? Or, would people abuse the other drugs more if they were legal & start killing themselves at the same rate that alcohol & tobacco users do? I have NO idea....

@Carin More good points. Portugal decriminalized all recreational drugs including Heroin, Cocaine...

Apparently the number of all addictions, alcoholism included, went down. It doesn’t necessarily mean doing the same in the US would have the same results. The fabric of the American society is profoundly different from Portugal’s.

Alcohol is the most abused substance in the US. I think alcohol is the most abused substance partly because it’s legal. Although its consumption did not decrease during prohibition. I also think the fact it’s legal only after 21 contributes to the abuse. In Italy, where I was born and raised, wine was always on the table and I could have some if I wanted to. They made me try it as a kid, little tiny sips. When you have a cold some moms give you hot milk, brandy and honey before you go tos sleep. Works like a charm despite the fact milk is usually avoided in the US as it thickens mucus and phlegm. It does not increase production though.

All this to say I have no idea either. ?

@Lucignolo Maybe it's just another conspiracy thing, but I heard consumption actually did you down, as did admissions to asylums, during prohibition. I do believe the bootlegging made organized crime bigger though. Interesting about Portugal! I wonder how that made addictions drop?

I grew up partly in Germany & the same thing with the wine. I thought it tasted awful & still do!

I offer only one argument for legalizing all drugs: the example of Portugal which decriminalized all drugs in 2001.
Why have we not heard of it? Well, there are some of the root causes why this will not work in the US. There is too much money to be made fighting the war on drugs; and it is a handy too for continuing the suppression of several races of peopel in the US seemingly for their own good. Enough said.

yup we are or should be in charge of our decisions good or bad

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:167554
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.