Agnostic.com

6 1

The Bible: 1 good thing 1 bad thing (please read full question below)

Name a passage in the Bible that you feel is a positive message.

Name the worst passage, the one that most disturbs you.

paul1967 8 Oct 17

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

6 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Best: "Do unto others...." not sure what passage it's from or if it's even in there.
Worst: The entire book of Leviticus.

which bible?

The Bible. It's the collections of scriptures from the old to the new testament and the term Bible only refers to the Christian doctrine, as far as I know. If your question is which Christian belief system I would say that it doesn't matter. Pick any you're familiar with

I guess one good thing would be "love thy neighbour as thyself", and the worst part for me was the description that the old testament god gave himself as a "jealous god" .

What is the point of this exercise? I am an atheist who gave up reading this nonsense when I was ten.

I thought it might be a way to flush out a thought I had. What unique insight, was found exclusively in the Bible, that had not or could not come from the mind of man. What I'm trying to show theists is any quality advice that came from the Bible had its roots in cultures that began long before the Bible. When it comes to the evil in the Bible, "Mein Kamph" doesn't hold a candle to the immorality found in the Bible. This question was an attempt to use the incredible brain power of people who think differently than I do. I wanted to see if anyone could find good in the Bible that I had not considered.

In all seriousness, I can't find one good thing. The reason is this: If you asked me to find one good thing in Mein Kamph, I could find things about a people coming together for a common good for example, but the context of why that is written is horrible. Some people will point out something such as "Love thy neighbor." BUT, that is taken out of context. The prescriptions for "morality" in the buybull come with conditions and a heavy price. Love and peace are not meant for the whole world, but for certain groups. As far as the bad, how could I narrow it down from all of the passage about killing gay people, raping children, murdering those who disagree with you, sacrificing animals, and all of the unscientific magical thinking?

Understandable and your point, is well taken. I had not considered that.

Deu 22:8 When thou buildest a new house, then thou shalt make a battlement for thy roof, that thou bring not blood upon thine house, if any man fall from thence. This verse contains an entire world of ethics.

Lev 21:20 Or crookbackt, or a dwarf, or that hath a blemish in his eye, or be scurvy, or scabbed, or hath his stones broken; This is part of a list of exclusions from the priesthood. I understand the reasons behind it, but it is still a miserable precedent.

BTW is this post a trick to catch people who have consorted with the Bible???

I have read the Bible cover to cover, and I have never been anything other than an Atheist since I was a child of about 9. I have passages I like and loathe. However, Daddyforpugs made a valid point.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:1683
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.