Agnostic.com

28 12

My mother is going downhill - asking for kind thoughts or feedback

She has a degenerative illness, but has taken a turn for the worse. I don't know how much time she has left. My dad and I have been doing everything we can for her, while making sure we can still take care of ourselves. But she is so anxious and nervous and trying to control everything, including after she's gone, and she's also making my dad anxious, and all this is just adding to my own stress and fear of losing her.

Just looking for some kind thoughts or feedback. Thanks.

bleurowz 8 Sep 2

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

28 comments (26 - 28)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

So sorry you’re going through this. Take care of yourself. In the evening have a cup of stress relieving tea. There are some in stores. Read labels though. Maybe mom and dad would like some too.

I'm sorry to hear this. I have lost both parents to different forms of cancer. So I can relate to this somewhat although in your case, it seems like it might be more painful and drawn out. With my parents, things were fairly cut and dried and it was just a matter of keeping them as comfortable as possible during their final weeks. My mom went quickly (lung cancer) once she was released to home hospice care and my siblings and their families (and mine) all traveled to Oregon to help. It took about 2 weeks and she died 2 days after her 61st BD. In my dad's case, there was more drama (it's complicated), but the short version is that he had pancreatic cancer that was diagnosed so late that his doctors felt the cure would kill him faster, so he received no treatment and we watched him more or less waste away. Similar to my mom's situation, we tried to make him as comfortable as possible. Eventually, he became largely unresponsive and lost all of his motor skills, but we believed he was still "in there." Everyone pitched in to help care for him.

It's difficult to offer advice. Without knowing more specifics, maybe humor your mom to manage the stress levels? Overall, you want to make whatever the remaining time you have with her as pleasant as possible. When she's gone, she's gone.

I know I wound up speaking more about my own experience, but I hope hearing this perspective was helpful. I'm sorry you're having to experience this.

I'm so sorry to hear your family is going through this. I work in a nursing home, and though I'm not a medical professional, I know a lot of our residents take something for anxiety. Is her doctor aware of how anxious she is at home?

dkp93 Level 8 Sep 2, 2018

She started taking an anti-anxiety drug. It's hard because she's got a very controlling nature. Hates that we are doing things for her.

@bleurowz That's a mom for ya! I hope the meds can give her a little peace.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:169746
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.