Agnostic.com

4 0

I borrowed this from the library. I’ve been trying to learn from friends how to catch fallacies (and respond to them) and hoping this simple book with illustrations will help me! Any tips or examples you would like to add?

SimplyMe 5 Jan 20

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

4 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I am going to see if this is on Nook! Thanks for the info!

I found that the best book for catching fallacies for me was Daniel Kahneman's Fast and Slow (https://www.amazon.com/Thinking-Fast-Slow-Daniel-Kahneman/dp/0374533555). It allows you to identify the mechanics of fallacies, rather than their structure. From there, I would recommend Peter Boghossian's A Manual for Creating Atheists (https://www.amazon.com/Manual-Creating-Atheists-Peter-Boghossian/dp/1939578094 or Street Epistemology, as he would rather have called it).

One thing I strongly recommend is not naming the fallacies, especially with lay people. People will confuse the name of the fallacy with calling them something. "That's an appeal to ignorance" will be interpreted as "you're stupid"; instead, use a phrase or question like "isn't that conclusion based on your rejection of something that you find suspicious or don't understand?" or "if you don't see how this could be so without your god, how can you expect someone to do so with it?".

Thank you for the meaningful input, @hlfsousa! I am familiar with Boghossian’s book (a friend on FB too), and, I think I’ve heard of Kahneman's book. I do need to put those books on my list to borrow!

The YouTube channel rationalityrules is an excellent resource. It kills me how many young kids are so darn smart.

Thank you! I’ve just made a note of that, @DavidLaDeau!

I just checked and my library has that book, so I am going to check it out in more ways than one!!

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:17036
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.