Agnostic.com

24 1

Do you skirt around the issue of out right saying you’re an atheist when people start talking about god?

I’ve found when I tell anyone they look at me like a fanatic. Depending on who is asking the question, I usually just say things like “oh, well I’m glad that brings you comfort.”

PinkPassion 5 Jan 21

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

24 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Yes. I live in Oklahoma and sell hearing aids. It seems everybody here is really religious and I deal with the elderly. Almost every one of my patients bring up religion to me. I just smile and nod. Outside of work, I've lost friends when telling them I am an atheist. I've had people not allow my kids to play with their kids because of my beliefs. It's hard to be an open atheist here.

Kanda Level 5 Jan 21, 2018

That’s awful. I too give a smile and a nod.

Probably best to keep your atheism to yourself here for the most part except with your fellow atheist friends.

@Trajan61 I do now.

NO.
"
Two days ago, after I said to a customer at the local Mall that I am an Atheist, an employee told me "Don't say that." Well, dear, with my powerful and accented voice U answered him "I am an Atheist and if you don't like it's not my problem but yours."

My usual comment is, "I really don't believe in ANYTHING supernatural.

Not even a little. I'd wear a flashing sign if I could

It really depends on the audience. I'd love to be blunt but it provides a lot pf people comfort - especially old people or someone who just lost a loved one - and I'm not out to shit on that.

Sometimes if I don’t want to get into a religious debate I just mention that I follow the philosophy of Zen Buddhism, and leave out the fact that I was indeed an atheist.

I don’t mention that I’m an atheist among my religous business associates as unfortunately it could cost me as where I live being an atheist is considered to be evil.

Thankfully most people where I live either don't bring it up or seem to assume everyone's a believer. I keep my mouth shut because this is a small town full of small minds with small ideas.

I'll open up if I have a relationship and some degree of trust and mutual respect...if not, I keep my heathenism to myself. Loose lips sink ships.

I usually say some version of "i am over all that". If questioned further, i say i find it impossible to believe "gawd's eye is on the sparrow" with all the suffering i see every day. I have seen even very religious people nod their heads to this answer.

I am not in a war with god... so I let the god soldiers do their routine among themselves. Those who know me they know where I stand... been here in this position way over half a century. Those who test me... will see me getting bigger like a cat, my voice deepens and in a guttural kind of way and my eyes have a tendency to drill through humans as if there was no humanity in them. That teach them lesson number one about me.

Not at all, I like to get that out as soon as someone tries to interject god into a conversation. The degree of tact I use when saying it depends on the other person.

It seems easier here, we just say we are atheists and don't believe their fantasy stories.

I’ve found that too. This is the first place to meet people that I’m actually comfortable.

Here in the Bible Belt, people just take it for granted you believe in a god. I've heard their ignorant opinions on atheists, so I never offer to share my lack of belief, unless it's a deep discussion with someone who'll listen.

I let them say their peace and come back to them with a demonstration that I know more about what they believe than they do (oh I am sorry you don't know those 4 languages in your own book like I do). I shouldnt do that but I can't resist, haha.

I tend to just ask questions that I know they can not answer. Or throw out random contradictions from their own holy book that they either don't know about, or can't explain. Usually the religious folks just swap topics rather than get into a real discussion. People have difficulty discussing anything that questions their long held beliefs.

I never skirt the issue. I'm proud that I don't feel the need to believe in fantasies. There is only one instance where I would lie about my atheism, but I'm never going to a Muslim country so that's a non issue. I like my head right where it is, thank you very much.

Most people know where I stand, so the issue doesn't come up very often. However, when it does, I cut right to the chase just to minimize the BS.

No. I’m agnostic.

Id rather announce where I stand than b victim of a one sided conversation

I certainly don’t offer the information, but when asked about it directly, I reply simply that I’m an anti-theist. A lot of times, I can tell that they don’t quite understand the meaning of the term. I love the way they roll their eyes, or when they look at me with an expression on their face like they’ve just stepped on gum.

I'm unapologetic about my beliefs or lack there of. Even at work it's not a big deal so long as the talk remains respectful. If I ask people what they believe or their opinions on something I am always prepared to hear things I may not like, I expect others to have the same sort of integrity. Most people know that when it comes to religion and politics it can be a powder keg they may not want to poke.

People really don't ask me, and I'm not into debating with them. I really usually avoid people that get into that subject..

If I'm counseling someone I let them talk of their faith and try and figure out what it means and how it affects their life. If they ask me my beliefs I tell them I'm an atheist. Therapy, and I guess human interactions in general, ain't worth doodly doo doo if it isn't honest and open. It is surprising how well people take it when I tell them. I don't believe in being aggressive about it, but I think it is important for the acceptance of atheism that we let others know it is an acceptable option, and to show them that people without faith are decent human beings.

I usually giggle when the conversation turns to God and than walk away because I know that one isn't for me.

MikeJ Level 5 Jan 21, 2018
Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:17088
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.