Agnostic.com

7 3

Limitations on comedy? Are there limits? everyone likes a laugh but at what cost?

What are your thoughts? Freedom of speech? Freedom of expression? Where are the lines drawn in polite society? Or is a polite society one without borders? Are certain subjects taboo?

A comedian gauges their audience and pushes their limits. In an open forum such as this, where the audience is as broad as our universe. Should caution be taken so as not to offend? Should the offended just move on with a get over it attitude? Or should there be debate?

Dav87 6 Jan 21

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

7 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I don't like comedians that just make fun and insults people in his audience. I like smart comedy that makes one think.

Comedy is a part of human nature. I always believed getting made fun of would pass after grade school, but like so many things I've thought, I was wrong

I personally don't care for insult comedy; therefore I never listen to it.

Other than that, I don't know what to tell you. Comedy is like art (well, it is art). Some people want to look at the poop encased in plastic and calls it art but most don't. Where do you draw the line on what is acceptable and what's not especially when you have freedom of speech?

The free market has priced a laugh at the regional cost of a happy meal plus the diabetes medications later on. You see it's funny we they feed people crap and make them sick. It's like nutritional rape. You want fries with that? We assume everyone is the same - we all eat a McDonalds right, even Donald Trump. 239 my ass, more like 289. But we aren't all the same, and we don't laugh at the same things. Some people enjoy the suffering of others. Some pretend they know what normal is and get offended easily. So good question, but I don't know if there is an answer.

jeffy Level 7 Jan 21, 2018

This is exactly it, I DON'T KNOW. I don't consider myself easily offended but when something does, it hurts and I don't want to be a cause of that in someone else. It's completely subjective to so many factors. Thanks for the honest answer.

To me if its going to be racial then I don't want to hear it. If it's hurtful to anybody in here then I don't want to hear it. I suggest caution and ask Admin prior to posting something that you think may be ugly. Just me talking...

That's good advice, what actually prompted this post was, a few days ago I saw a "joke" somebody had posted. I won't repeat what it said but its subject matter was one that could easily have upset many people, and I took offence to the fact someone had (in my mind thoughtlessly) posted something that could possibly upset people on the site. I'm a firm believer in freedoms and I don't think people have the right to not be offended so I kept my mouth shut. However, it's made me question where the line is to be drawn. I always do my best to be polite and word things carefully so as to not offend. But some don't seem to put much thought into the fact we have people from all walks of life and personal histories on this forum.

Comedy is a self-regulating market, from my observation over the decades. Much can be said about a given comedian's style, popularity, etc., but in the end the people decide with their feet, so to speak, ala Kathy Griffen. Comedy is about pushing the limits, and some go too far in some peoples' opinions. Lenny Bruce, Mort Sahl, et al, would be considered tame nowadays. Sophisticated, insightful, and incisive comedy usually will stand the test of time. I think Carlin was a master at walking that fine line.

Carlin was indeed a master of that line, but that is our opinion and others thought he crossed the line and took great offence.

Dav87, virtually everything I promulgate is my opinion, and I could care less who thinks what about it. You know what they say, "Opinions are like assholes, everybody has one, and they all stink."

Better we have the freedom to step on each others' toes, like adults, than we are kept "in line" like children.

"Adults" being the operative word: adults are mature and responsible, mostly. I think that takes care of most of it.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:17118
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.