Agnostic.com

3 0

My Food Treatise

I sat in a room yesterday with some obese people. We were having a decent conversation, chatting about our local area, companies and business in general. Suddenly the conversation changed to food. Not so much food options, such as healthy or even nutrition such as proteins, fiber. Not even about calories and fat. Food as fuel knowledge. Simply it was about food.

The conversation changed into stories of exquisite taste, Cheep food and mass consumption. Rather than head out for some donuts and then join in, I just picked up my phone and let it go. I retreated. And I listened in a little. I think I overheard one comment about the “Food Police”

And it went on and on and on and on.

And who wouldn’t retreat? They really weren’t talking about food to me. Or nutrition. Or their bodies. Or our planet. They were simply talking about what they like to do: Eat Food.

So I did listen in a little. But only a little bit. There was no talk of health. No acknowledgment of the Big Bellies that were in the room. Age 50ish knee replacements that were present. Or any kind of general health statements. Why not listen more? I say….more!?!? I’ve been hearing this conversation my whole life. And I’ve chosen not to be the “food police”. Or more to the point, to be called the “Food Police”. Plus I don’t know these people’s health issues well enough to comment. I am only speaking to what was obvious to me.

(At one time yesterday they even referred to themselves a Foodies. )

So as you are reading with intense interest you might be thinking: ” Just where has Tom heard this type of conversation before?” My answer would be: Same as you….Everywhere!!! Family. In the churches. In the restaurants. In the media. Boy Scouts. Schools. The Holidays, full of candy (I’m waiting for those Memorial Day Peeps!) Everywhere!

So you may ask, what does this have to do with Atheism? I dunno. Connection? Control of your food, your body, your spirit? I do think that the connection between good health and bad habits can’t be overstated. Perhaps it’s this “it’s all beyond my control” helplessness. Which becomes something like “it’s God’s Will”….. Yes Helplessness. Weakness. Choices.

Making the connections. Yes, it’s so natural for me….. I’ve started checking out Astro Theology. So much of it makes so much sense.( I am saddened by what has been hidden from us and destroyed.)

Making connections….So natural to me, but outside of other people’s realms.

I’m rambling now. Any comments out there?

twill 7 Jan 21

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

3 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

People use food to celebrated. We eat because we are happy, sad, angry or bored. That's the society that we live in. What does being obese have to do with your questions? Actually, I'm not sure you really asked any valid questions. Are you saying only fat people talk about food? I'm not sure what kinds of people you hang around but I don't know many that talk about how great a protein bar tastes. Religion doesn't have much to do with food choices, except for some not eating pork, ect. Doesn't mean because they don't eat something out of religious beliefs, they're not going to eat a piece of pizza, slice of cake or (gasp) be over weight. And of course you're attitude towards the conversation leads me to think you are the "food police". I can see you now rolling you're eyes if you see a fat person ordering dessert at a restaurant. What does someone else's body size matter to you? Plan and simple. IT DOESN'T!

FYI. I have lots of extra pounds on my ass and I'm very healthy.

I frequently point out to my children what extremely overweight people are eating and the "food" they are putting in their shopping carts. I let them know that almost ALL obesity is a choice. What is unfair is not my anti -pcism (body shaming!!) but the promotion of poor nutritional choices by our culture.

People know that eating unhealthy is...unhealthy. It’s a choice, one that many don’t care about. @twill

@twill your reply just proved my point. The fact that you point it out to your children is a shame and a bad parenting skill. It's none of your damn business what people eat period. Of course over weight people realize what they put in their bodies isn't always the best decision but it doesn't give jerks like you an ok to bully. And yes that's what you're doing as well as teaching your children it's ok to do what dad does. You have no right to judge what someone else eats, prays to, does in their own bed room, ect. My main goal as a parent is for my children not to be fucking assholes when they grow up, while yours seems to be the opposite.

Well then I guess obesity is a choice that you have made.

Food is a comfort,peoples lives are tough and food is an escape. It s about feeling better while you eat,the rush is immediate but no doubt the regret comes later. Its an addiction and an illness, you have to feel sorry for them.
But none of us is tied to a fate we don't want,we can make the change if we want to , some do and some don't ,but that is the way life is.

We are all connected.

Don't feel sorry for me dear sir. I don't blame my weight on anyone but myself. I work a 9 to 5 job and take care of 3 kids by myself. I'm the typical mother putting herself last. Plus I don't need your fucking pity.

Hi Deidra. Are you saying that putting yourself last causes weight issues for you? There is a thing called ""stress eating". Is that what you mean?
I have done that. Sometimes anxiety causes me to break a fast. Eat when I'm not hungry. Eat the wrong item or something I soon regret. It is a mental battle for sure.

@Deidra,you don't have my pity, as you put it, though its a harsh word...you don't sound like you need it. When an eating disorder stops you having a job and looking after kids then you may get some....not that it will help one jot...but you cannot stop being sympathetic to those who suffer...call me old fashioned.

I pity you. For your attitude. No where was pity mentioned, until you brought it up. And you are disillusioned to believe that being obese doesn’t mean unhealthy. @Deidra500

I've heard these conversations everywhere too. I don't really care anymore. My only bone of contention is that obesity is a preventable condition that raises health care costs. Other than that, eat yourself to death if you want. Might sound synnical, but it's really just apathy.

Absolutely. I actually wrote something similar in there, but decided to leave it out

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:17165
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.