Agnostic.com

0 2

LINK Trump’s comments after not attacking Nike raise even more questions - The Washington Post

Interesting angle here: I looks like Nike may be playing with Trump
When Nike announced this week that it would center an advertising campaign around Colin Kaepernick, the football player responsible for starting the protests, it seemed (to use another sports analogy) as though the company was setting the issue on a tee at Trump National Golf Club. How could the president resist offering criticism once Nike elevated the face of the NFL protests to a new position of influence?

Trump demurred. By Wednesday morning, he hadn’t offered any public critique of the decision or of Nike — even though a change of the conversation away from Bob Woodward’s new book might be useful to him.

In an interview with the Daily Caller on Tuesday, Trump explained his hands-off approach.

*“I think it’s a terrible message,” he said. “Nike is a tenant of mine. They pay a lot of rent.”

• He went on to say that the hiring was “a terrible message and a message that shouldn’t be sent.” But it’s hard not to fixate on the immediate qualification Trump offered for his thoughts: Nike gives him money.
    Something kept Trump from attacking Nike and scoring points with his base (a base that, we’ll note, was so incensed at Nike that people were burning their shoes). Trump told the Daily Caller that Nike’s decision “is what this country is all about, that you have certain freedoms to do things that other people think you shouldn’t do.” Nike’s choice to highlight Kaepernick was, in other words, Nike’s freedom of speech.

Of course, Trump also told the Daily Caller that protesters should be banned at the public hearings for his Supreme Court nominee. It’s unclear whether any of those protesters were tenants at Trump properties.

Lukian 8 Sep 5

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:172023