Agnostic.com

4 1

Election democracy

Political similarities between US and African current foreign colonies--represented by black criminal groups---clearly acknowledges that election democracy does not work anymore. So why do we waste money and time organising elections?

Humanlove 7 Jan 22

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

4 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Sorry my American cousins but one of the main problems is the presidential system. It has to be the worst export your country has ever sent. I cannot think of anywhere (except the USA) where it has worked.
As for democracy itself, be careful what you wish for. We would all want to have some checks and balances to avoid mob rule plus people a stupid. Yes we are, when the tax rebate comes in do we go for paying a little more off the mortgage or a vacation? We want low taxes and more public spending.
Socrates posed the question " Who should govern the ship. The captain or the crew?" I say look at an actual event ie. the Bounty mutiny and see how it turned out.
The main benefits that we get from our sudo-democracies are sites like this and a free press. Without the facade of the vote things like these would disappear.

Well, for starters, the U.S. is not a democracy. What?!? Everyone talks about "democracy in America," including the media, but the fact of the matter is that the US government is not, never was, and was never intended to be a democracy.

The USA is a constitutional republic. The highest law of the land, which establishes the U.S. government, is The Constitution of the United States of America.

To be sure, there are elements of democracy embedded in the US form of government, but the Founding Fathers were keenly aware of the danger of "majority rules," a.k.a. "mob rule." Such a system has a tendency to trample the liberties of those in the minority. The Founding Fathers sought to protect everyone's liberties, not just the liberties of the majority.

Yes, the resulting system of government is rather quirky, and it seems that every election the argument that "the majority should win" always arises. Nevertheless, the government of the USA is the oldest continuous major system of government on the planet.

Is it perfect? No, far from it. I don't know many people who wouldn't like to tweak it or replace it. Even I think there are some major flaws in modern times, mostly due to the two party system.

Americans need more choices. That is the single, most important thing, IMHO.

So what's the primary purpose of constitutional republicanism? I think after looking at it's primary goal, we can know if it's working..not so?

@0752532706 that's the $1,000,000 question, isn't it? What did the Founding Fathers have in mind when they crafted the Constitution? It is difficult to say with any certainty since we cannot ask them specific questions regarding the constitutionality of today's laws. They did have the foresight to allow for constitutional amendments, but I would imagine a few of those may raise some of their eyebrows.

All we can do is surmise what we can from their writings, with an eye toward understanding the usage of certain words and phrases at the time pen was put to parchment. This is, of course, prime territory for debate and uncertainty. It is also difficult to determine, based on the antique writings, how the abolition of slavery, equal status of women, America's status as a world power, and other developments of the last 230 years since the contents of the original Constitution were finalized might be interpreted by its authors.

It is clear that the Constitution's intent was twofold. One, to codify the structure of the new nation's government and establish procedure, and two, to protect the rights of its citizens against official interference with their ability to exercise their natural rights. Indeed, the Bill of Rights was a contingency demanded by the Anti-Federalists in order to win their support for the new Constitution. It isn't that the Federalists didn't think the Bill of Rights was correct in what it said, but rather they feared the enumeration of specific rights was unnecessary and could lead to the notion that rights not included in the document were not protected. The protection of the rights of the individual was a major consideration.

So one must wonder what the Founding Fathers might think about gun control. income and property taxes, entangling alliances with other nations, the so-called "Patriot Act," the U.N., laws that specify what a person can and cannot consume, the ever growing bureaucracy, executive orders, activist judges, etc.

Would they approve? I rather doubt it. I believe they would recognize that our government has ceased being concerned about individual liberties and is, instead, allowing them to erode as they concern themselves with power and wealth. I don't know what answers our Founding Fathers might have for the issues of the day, but I'm pretty sure that, unlike most people in Washington and the various statehouses, they would continue to emphasize individual liberty as the nation's single most important value.

@firecracker Thank you fellow free thinker. This is a deep thought remarks. I appreciate your time,ofcourse it put me on a tiptop walking as I read it. Peace be with you.

Not sure about your African connection, but I’ve paid very close attention to the US version of democracy and - it works! The question being - for who? It’s no longer a nation run by 21 year old landed gentry, it’s become a homogenized mass of manipulated followers prodded by fear to even make the effort to vote... Trillions of dollars have been spent over a century to distort the courts and allow the wealthiest an inordinate amount of influence. The result? ‘Trump & friends!’

So yes, ‘here’ it’s working! In fact, it just gave away one of the largest monetary payoffs ever! ...now if you’re not wealthy, and just a good person willing to work while you can and educate yourself to the best of your abilities … have and provide for a family.. It’s not working, for you.

What to do? Hard to say.. The bad guys & gals have such an advantage now I doubt the military would look out for the ‘common people’ (from which they came). It’s been such a slow boil, your first adversary is likely the guy down the street with all the guns ..wrapped in his flag. Average good people spend so much time feeding their lifestyles they haven’t the energy, resources, drive or knowledge to fight … hell, many won’t even vote..

Leave? ...guess at some country that won’t fall victim (if it already hasn’t) to US manipulation and eventual devastation..? Or ‘stay here’ and attempt to take it back through the remnants of democracy not totally destroyed by the powers that be…

Varn Level 8 Jan 22, 2018

Have you got a better idea?

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:17373
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.