Agnostic.com

5 0

How many think or feel that god is just nature making man as god as anything else?

#god
TerryG 2 Sep 8

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

5 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

not me. i hear that sometimes. there is already something of a definition of god, and calling a tree god, or nature god, just confuses the issue. nature is not even just one thing. we see it as a big clump of... nature, but it's a combination of many things. there is no need even to clump it together and call it nature; putting a word to it that also indicates something supernatural just makes it worse. no god is love for me; call love love and call god a fictional character. no god is nature for me; call nature nature, if we must, and don't call god at all. he won't answer, you know!

g

No, that sounds like philosophical lamarckism - attributing what you don't know to some unseen force in order to match what you wish were true

God is an abstraction invented by humans. Some humans use a different abstraction than the most typical (invisible, personal, interventionist supernatural being not a part of the natural world). Some prefer to make god some aspect or manifestation of nature or consciousness. This has the advantage that such gods are at least theoretically falsifiable, and the disadvantage that no evidence exists for them either.

I am with @Juggler67 that it's generally inadvisable to use the word "god" for something quite different than what most people mean. However, it's popular to do so because people tend to want to salvage some sort of god-concept for themselves, to avoid the stigma of atheism and/or the full integration of their own mortality into their awareness, etc.

What did Ethel say Winnie? ?

No, I think you are overthinking and getting muddled. There is no god....get the idea out of your head, it is an invention of man. We have man and we have nature, and man should take care of and enjoy it.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:174782
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.