Agnostic.com

11 0

For those who would say 'no' to the term 'church':
What would overcome your objection? My opinion on the churches that have existed is not a positive one, but from a humans are stupid perspective(have been Sherboppled), the familiarity creates an attraction for those who are afraid to look for themselves. Perspectively, Athiests are much more difficult to convince of their faith, but more importantly, appear to be the smaller market. While Muslims may outnumber christians, they have a different perspective on their religion and I can speak directly to the christian belief, history, fear and understanding best. I don't care for the term church and am looking at using the word community, but there is the explanation for why I am still giving it thought.

CharlesAhrens 4 Jan 23

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

11 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

The IRS has a checklist it uses to determine if a church is legitimate for tax exempt and charitable giving purposes. You can still be a church for tax purposes without calling your entity a church. Atheist and agnostic churches are also acceptable. An entity doesn't have to meet all of the criteria on the list to qualify as a church.

@CharlesAhrens Actually, the IRS does not require a board. If you read the regs your tax exempt merely by meeting several of the criteria for being a church. States control corporations, the IRS merely makes the rules regarding tax exempt status. You do not have to be a corporation to enjoy tax exempt charitable entity status! BTW non profit only means that profits can not accrue to the persons operating the entity including board members, if they exist.

@CharlesAhrens IRS.gov is the key using the site search look for church pubs. They have several pubs related to charitable religious organizations. Google Universal Life Church. They have online ordination process that makes you a legally ordained minister that meets the requirements for any state. Ordination cost 20 bucks but it is the first step in church formation. Google Jimmy Kimmel Church. He went through the whole process to show how ewsy it was. Okay, how easy? Lady Gaga is an ordained ULC minister.

@CharlesAhrens might have confused kimmel and oliver, I don't watch much late night tv. I read an article about, probably the one you found. You can use the word church in the name. The IRS doesn't care what you name it. My ein letter uses the word church in the name, but I am not a church. Looks like you know your around the net better than I.

Church has negative connotations pointing towards religion. No matter what you do at this point, you can't reclaim the word in a positive light. Ex. The swastica. Once a positive, loving symbol, now can only be seen as a negative thing in our current culture and most likely for years to come. It is hard to come up with a tag for a group, or for a gathering place.

I have no objection if someone uses the word church. It is a word. Although it has a standard definition in the dictionary, I think it might mean something more personal depending on a person's definition. So be it. Have a blast.

I did not answer your question either. I too wasn't sure what you meant. I could care what another's religion is or isn't. That is, as long as they do not invade my personal space with the ideas and philosophies with the intent to convert me. That cannot be done. My family tried it and it has caused division between us. I have a right to believe as I wish, just as others. I will talk a little causally about concepts to listen and exchange ideas. But it would be intellectual and not meant to bully or put down another. I like to talk and exchange information, but that does not mean it will change me. It means I will increase my knowledge container a few gigs.

There is no danger of me going to a church. I have zero tolerance for the dogma. To me outdoors is church. All the perfection created is there for all to see. I find being out in nature anywhere inspires and makes me feel full of joy. That is where my heart is. That is where I am the most alive. The world is a grand creation. I can't imagine how it all came together, so I just love and appreciate.

The term doesn't offend me.

skado Level 9 Jan 23, 2018

Some people think (dictator types) that churches and religion are a means of controlling their citizens. If they are busy fighting each other over religious beliefs, then they are too occupied to be of interest in their government. This I would advise anyone to be careful of. There are more people fighting over religious beliefs than anything else.

Some people believe that when you leave home and go out into the world without your parents, you lose your mother/father influence. After you have no parents, you lose that yes/no parental control. All decisions and failures/wins are now up to you. If you have God, you have someone to help you make it through your life, so it takes away the need for parents.

Stay away from the term "church" -- it is an institution designed to inculcate and maintain belief in a total system religious ideology.

Church= building, Religion= the faith, and congregation= the people in a particular building and faith. Are you looking for a new word?

The prob imo is that the term Church is already taken, it means "Living Stones," and any institutionalization of the term would be infringing, or assuming

I am part of a Unitarian Universalist congregation, and the "don't call it a church" thing comes up frequently. I prefer congregation, but if someone calls it church, I don't get freaked out. It's become a common colloquial term, like bandaid or kleenex at this point...

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:17682
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.