Agnostic.com

23 0

Do you openly tell your co-workers you're non-religious?

Do you openly tell your co-workers you're an atheist/agnostic?

• 24 votes
  • 14 votes
  • 5 votes
  • 2 votes
drch 3 Jan 23

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

23 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I'm very open about it and I'm not alone.

I don't bring it up but when they talk religion I simply tell them "I escaped years ago."

My go to answer to avoid the conversation is that I say "I am a recovering Catholic".

If it is brought up then yes but in my in my country no one really cares. So I did not vote sorry, I couldn't as there was no right option for me.

Sacha Level 7 Jan 23, 2018

Stay true... often enough... options are pretty lacking. I heard maximum of choices are 8.

Well, since I am retired I only have the pleasure to tell my co-knitters / co-readers that I am an Atheist. Yes, all my former co-workers and students knew my opinions on religion......

if I am asked I tell, if I am not I dont. Not the big into discussing personal matters at my job.

I used too, but had some bad experiences. I tend to keep my opinions to myself these days just to avoid bad feelings. It is cowardly. I really think opinions like mine should be expressed more for the greater good, but I need to work. I work in a kitchen and they keep blaring this loud country rap song about not taking their guns and patriotic god fearing country boy BS..

MsAl Level 8 Jan 23, 2018

I've been prodded on the subject at work, and I don't hide it from them. Save for 2 or 3 individuals who would maybe inquire further and try to (mostly courteously) debate me, most don't care. I'm unapologetic about my stance on religion and theism, and most are modest enough to respect it even if their views run counter.

The few "debates" I've gotten in at work I quickly drop when they spout certain logical fallacies and talking points that I find to be complete road blocks.

It doesn't really come up a lot with most people, but when the topic is brought up for some reason I make no bones about my irreligious perspective. Several of my coworkers know pretty much what my view is about God/gods and religion.

My CEO is a rabbi... best to keep my thoughts to myself 🙂

I am a teacher in a school with religious people. I think getting along with my coworkers is more important than possibly alienating my self by exposing anything that may be taken negatively.

I tell them what ever I think they want to hear .I run and own a business and deal with employees on a daily basis .I would be an idiot if I did otherwise.It does not pay to loose a good employee over some stupid religious beliefs.These people are not my friends so who the hell cares.I care about what I believe and do not have to spread it around and wear it like a badge of honor

If the subject comes up I’m quite open about being an atheist.

The only time I have had to make an issue of my choice of a lack of religion, is when the religious zealot in the office, heard of some trying times I was having and offered to pray for me. I said, "I appreciate your offer, but as I am not religious, I would prefer you not". She looked at me weird and walked away. About a month after that, she started talking to me about her God. I had to report her for her zealousness, as I was feeling very uncomfortable, as she was singling me out.

Well, I'm retired, so I don't have co-workers any more. But when I did, we didn't talk about religion. I had one co-worker who was in the Salvation Army, but he never talked about that, either. As for the others, I have no idea.

I'm out of the workforce now, but I never hid it. Didn't volunteer the information most of the time, but if the subject came up, I was always honest about it. Some people didn't like it, but that was usually because they learned they couldn't preach to me about their beliefs. They knew I just wasn't interested.

I work with religious bodies.

We used to have an uber-religious boss at my office. He was also firing people left and right; although, as far as I know, none of them were fired for religious reasons. I didn't want to be the next guy fired. Even though we have a new boss now, I still keep my lack of religion to myself. I'm also the only non-conservative and non-Trump-supporter; a fact which is widely known by most of the office.

Ive made no bones about it, the people I work with seem to care about it as much as they do about.....their religion.

Not only do I admit it, I have had to skip interview in the past at companies that were openly religious. One even wanted me to give them the story of how I was saved as part of the application process.

Indeed I do..I also tell other tenents in my building..don't want anyone praying or sending "his blessing" my way nor at my door.
At a previous job there was a fundmentalist, he asked if I believed..so I said no..to which he replied with the usual responce.."You're gonna burn in hell"..lol..so then he'd look for ways to harrang me on "Jasus"..I finally told him"I shower in the sacred blood of virgins daily"..I never did get to let him know I ate kids on thanksgiving..lol

I had a supervisor ask me why I abandoned my God. I told her I didn't abandon him; he abandoned me and walked off. She left me alone after that.

Indeed I do..I also tell other tenents in my building..don't want anyone praying or sending "his blessing" my way nor at my door.

I had been an open book all my life. But I am not in the business of making people feel uncomfortable. I don't get any pleasure so at least on my face... they respect my position... Now what they say behind my back... Never got to me.

Nobody cares what your beliefs are,

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:17698
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.