Agnostic.com

14 2

12 Step Programs - What was your higher power?

If you ever were part of any 12-step program like Alcoholics Anonymous, were you able to work with the god / higher power part of it? If so, what was your higher power?

shockwaverider 8 Jan 23

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

14 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Bacchus is my higher power

I tried AA for a spell a while back when I was imbibing probably a bit too much (I drank like a fish there for a time!) & never got past that "tenet" & the Lord's Prayer at every meeting & the overall "church-like" atmosphere. Tried for about 4 months or so, then quit & just stayed away from drinking at all for another few months. Now I drink in moderation, mostly, & don't have the same issues in my life, so I guess all's well.

I asked a buddy of mine who is atheist and went thru it. He said "the human spirit".

*shrug

whatever works, I am just glad he is sober today.

I was never in AA, but I attended NA

I chose energy as my higher power, because that is the only thing thay seems real to me. Everything is made of energy, nothing ever leaves this place, it just changed form.

I am an alcoholic, sober 50 years. AA member 31 years. When I first got sober I tried to read the Big Book. Found this on pg. 28; "A design for living that really works." I rejected AA but kept that phrase. I suppose that was my original Higher Power. But it grew until it was Nature, and still is today.

Manhattens..yumm

Never could find it.

The mighty jigglypuff...also addiction isn't a disease it's a choice

I agree with @LennyP49. Often it is self-medication.

Is being gay a choice? I'd say no. Who would choose to be gay in this climate? Probably no one.

Similarly who would choose to be overweight, or be an alcoholic, drug addict, etc.

What kills most alcoholics is the belief that their drinking is a choice. Their pride won't let them admit to themselves that they have a subtle insanity. At certain times the real alcoholic has no mental defense against the first drink. He cannot bring into his mind, the suffering of a week or a month ago, with sufficient force to deter him from that first drink. These strange mental blank spots make it impossible for the real alcoholic to stay sober.

I know this is true because I have experienced it myself, many many times. Many times I have quit drinking, and really meant it. Only to drive by a bar a couple weeks later and my mind would go; "I'll just have a couple." And there I am, started drinking again. Nothing would come to my mind to remind me that I had promised myself that I would never take another drink as long as I lived. I repeated this over and over again, not understanding what was happening. Sobriety in not about will power. Oct. 22 of last year I celebrated 50 years of sobriety. Alcoholism is a deadly disease. If you have not been there, you do not know.

My mother was a drug counselor at a rehab center so i learned alot. Not only that but i had an severe addiction at one point and i made a choice to stop and i did. No rehap no meds no getting off slowly just point blank stopped

@Reaver85 , I'm glad for you, but, obviously, not everyone is like you. For many it is much more than a choice. Is depression a choice? Schizophrenia? When does your brain chemistry start taking your choice away from you? So, go ahead & pat yourself on the back for cleaning yourself up, just don't belittle those who have problems in this area that may have different or additional causes than you.

I have schizophrenia and depression ptsd and a few other things and i control everything without use of meds because i choose to. It is a struggle sometimes but weak people have excuses

A deceased relative.

Rehab is for quitters

220 221 whatever it takes.

i didn't use god, mine was staying outta prison, court ordered rehab. but i couldn't beat the booze just everything else, ended up with cirrhosis.

I've always believed addiction is a behaviour, not a disease for the reason that saying you have no control over it a false claim. It abdicates responsibility. Driving that needle in your arm or lifting that bottle to your mouth is a voluntary action requiring a decision.

@Hominid I agree. The higher power against addiction is obviously self-purpose, and application of self - Esteem and building it through action.

I was merely being silly in my answer.

@Hominid The first time, I agree, maybe even the first few times. But for some, once the addiction takes hold, the "choices" become fewer & harder. Would you say someone with severe depression should just "get over it"?

@phxbillcee - apples and oranges. Severe depression is a brain chemistry imbalance and is considered a legit pathology correctable with medication.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:17726
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.