Agnostic.com

5 0

When we look out into space we are looking at the past. At least that is my thought based upon the info I have received. So, if I travel to a far distant planet, or whatever, will that mean that I will get younger for a period of time until that process comes to stabilize and then as I get closer to the object of my travel my age rapidly advances? Perhaps that's the basis for a sci-fi novel, albeit with some fine tuning.

SchuylaRDiamond 6 Jan 23

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

5 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

We all go forwards in time, just at different rates (assuming that there is life outside of earth). Time is realtive. It depends on speed and mass

I am just glad there are people with greater brain capacity than mine, busy at work and reporting on it, back to the rest of us.

No, you are looking into the past because of how long it takes the light to move from a celestial body to your eyes. If you traveled out to visit one of the celestial objects you were looking at then you would arrive in it's present, you might experience time dilation if you traveled close to the speed of light, but that's a whole different story.

Here's the spooky part might, you might set off today for some distant object you could see, only to realise later that the it didn't exist anymore, it had somehow been destroyed or changed in the huge gap of time since the light you were seeing had left it!

I think, based on the first sentence, you're referring to the age of light from stars - ie, when we look at V762 Cas, which is about 16,308 lightyears away, we see it as it looked 16,308 years ago. That doesn't mean that traveling to it would take you back in time by 16,308 years, but that it's taken the light from the star 16,308 years to reach our eyes on Earth - even though light travels at 671 million miles an hour.

If you are planning a trip to a star, V762 Cas isn't a good choice - you can't travel faster than light, so even if you can figure out a way to travel at, say, 90% of lightspeed, it's going to take your spaceship more than 16,308 years to get there and, unless you can also figure out a way to massively prolong your lifespan, you're not going to make it. You could get to the nearest stars comparatively easily at that speed, meanwhile - Alpha Centauri is only about 4.24 lightyears away and so you can be there and back in around a decade. At that speed time will begin to do odd things, passing more slowly than on Earth - so, although you won't get younger, on your return to Earth you'll have aged less than the people who stayed behind.

Send us a postcard!

Jnei Level 8 Jan 23, 2018

No. Time for you will pass normally. In your "fame of reference" time will continue to move at the same relentless rate. There is though an interesting affect if you travel really fast or approach a very high gravity field. In such cases when you slow down or return to normal gravity you would discover, much to your amazement, that you were younger than folks who had previously been your same age who stayed behind and didn't take the trip that you took.

This is known as the Twin Paradox of Relativity. The high speed version is called the Twin Paradox of Special Relativity. The high gravity version is the Twin Paradox reworked in General Relativity which describes gravity.

[en.wikipedia.org]

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:17760
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.