Agnostic.com

16 0

Okay, so last night, half serious, half in jest, I urged all you wee, faceless, ghosties out there to upload profile pics. I got a lot of responses. Many of them were funny, but a LOT more of them were adamant refusals to ever do such a thing because they wanted to retain their anonymity. I respect that, but these refusals started me thinking and this question came to mind:

If you could, would you go through your daily life with your face hidden? Either by a bag or a burkha (is that the term I'm looking for? sorry if I got that wrong) or a balaclava (I'd rather have my face hidden by baklava) or an invisibility spell or a clown mask, you get the point... if you could without suffering any social problems, would you? Think about it and let me know. I'm not sure what my own answer would be. My face is the only mostly true thing I show the world, and even that, through expressions and facial hair or the lack thereof, is still only a half truth. All else about me is the true mask hiding that spark that makes up the essential me. Hiding me so we'll, even I don't know exactly what I look like. Would a mask further obscure me? Or might it embolden the real me and lower all other masks? I have no idea, but I am curious, unbelievers and doubters, about your thoughts on the matter. Would you hide your faces?

Thanks, in advance to all you folks who reply.

DobbinPitch 6 Jan 23

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

16 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I already feel invisible. I don't feel the need to make any effort in that respect.

there are a lot of reasons to not show your face you have not considered. NOt everyone is here for dating and I may not want someone to know how I look.Maybe if someone contacted me I would like to think it was because they liked what I thought

there are a lot of reasons to not show your face you have not considered. NOt everyone is here for dating and I may not want someone to know how I look.Maybe if someone contacted me I would like to think it was because they liked what I thought

I don't understand the point of being in a social networking website and being anonymous.

yes, it is partly a dating site and I like to see who I'm talking too.

Ok for all you people who said they would refrain from wearing a facial covering, think about it in this manner, what if it were some sort of synthetic skin or a holographic project, or just something along that line. Allowed you to change your look on a whim from bone formation to beauty marks. Would this make the concept of being able to, openly in any social setting, wear a form of a disguise, without any form of social repercussions?

Ps, I've tried to upload a picture. The browser freezes with this site and locks my phone up.

And women wear makeup which can do much the same....

Couldn't resist.

I would wear a burkha! They are very sun smart and I am super sun sensitive. Head to toe coverage would keep my moon tan protected. 🙂

I would wear a burkha! They are very sun smart and I am super sun sensitive. Head to toe coverage would keep my moon tan protected. 🙂

Ohmyfuckinggod... for the sake of argument, let's assume that whatever you wear is SOOPER comfy, so THAT wouldn't be a factor lol!

A few years ago I would have said, show.my face. However, now I am very concerned that technology has made it dangerous to show my face. Facial recognition technology has advanced over the years from merely a concept to where it might be the next thing to used to determine who gets on the plane and who gets another session with the grouchy TSA guy in the questioning room. I now carry a government ID and a driver's license both have pictures of me that have been analyzed for up to two hundred unique data points. The data points are compared with a live image of my face to determine a nearly perfect match in order to prove that I am in lawful possession of that ID card or License.

Somewhere in the not too distant future, street corner cameras will be able to identify me and track my whereabouts autonomously. At any time somebody will be able to query a database and learn where I am and where I've been. Face altering devices will be necessary to defeat such a system.

I couldn't hide my face. (I do however try to hide my body...but that's a totally different story.) I've never been shy, but I do understand people who might be trying to hide their identity from those around them. I once had a neighbor who was a school teacher and she felt she could never pick up a bottle of wine at the super market out of fear that parents, students, or ex-students would see and judge her. Where I, on the other hand, would often hear "are you having a party" at the check out and my response would be "nope, this is my weekly dosage".

Nena Level 6 Jan 23, 2018

Lol! Totally get that last part. Teachers do have it rough, though. I recall many of my high school teachers attending my dad's parties in the 80s... needless to say, the dynamic changes on Monday morning when you've seen your computer teacher shitfaced and imitating Jimmy Hendrix the previous Saturday.

What makes a good actor is their ability to show different emotions simply by facial gestures and with their eyes. Personally, as much as I loathe my face at the moment (not a fan of my double chin but I’m working on losing weight) I would not cover it. But what a person looks like gets old fast. I’ve met gorgeous people then got to know them for who they really are and all of a sudden, as if by magic, they become ugly. Average looking people or even someone you’re not attracted to can be flipped by how wonderful they are.

It’s difficult with online dating because we see a picture of a person and judge that first. However, I like the format here. People REALLY get to know others and see their personality for who they are by posting and then reading responses. I think that makes a big difference.

Total agree. And that's why I love this site. It's getting to know someone, before you know them.

Gary Oldman... best. Actor. Ever! He's a different person every time I see him. And I agree with your assessment on how physical attractiveness can change upon long time exposure to the personality generated by the squirming bag of worms that's running the show behind that beautiful face.

No.

I would hide everything if I could.

With this body, hiding just my face would only make things worse.

I don't know you, I don't know your story, and I don't anything about your life, but that comment alone makes me sad for you. I'm probably wrong, but it sounds like you've been badly hurt in your past and your looks were the cause of it or you believe that they were. Either way, I'm sorry for the hurt you've experienced, and I would like to apologize if my initial post caused any PTSD type related stress. I hate it when I hurt people who don't deserve it, even when I do it by accident.

@DobbinPitch no worries mate! No PTSD here, just a young-looking female with a slender body that gets too much attention--of all kinds--for comfort. I don't have the temperament to deal with leering men and seething women. So I stay home a lot. It is what it is.

@stinkeye_a it sucks that you feel driven to stay home because other people suck. I hope you have a place to go, in a nearby wilderness, perhaps, where you can be outside away from people who make you uncomfortable other than within your home. Being inside all of the time would be like being a prisoner, I think. But you're here, so I suppose that's a plus!

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:17793
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.