Agnostic.com

8 8

Last straw for Religion

Did you have a seminal moment that made you say, "That's it!"?

Here's mine.

I live in a rural area in Middle TN. I was nonreligious but didn't see the harm in introducing the kids to it while eliminating the dogma. Plus my ex was religious and the Protestant church is across the street.
Anyway, the church secretary, who grew up in the church, had issues, going through twelve step program, got dumped, counselling, etc. On top of that, she's a drama queen. So, at the end of the sermon the pastor gives her the floor and she lays it all out. Hey, no problem. Can't fix something if you don't acknowledge it. But, then people start doing this, "I'll go up and show my support" thing.
Lots of long time church members go up. Not my thing. A bit too cultish for me. More, and more members go up and I start thinking,"This is getting odd.". Finally, a long time member and church leader says something to the effect that if anyone is left in the pews the devil lives in this church. Um, fuck that.

I grab the my kids, I think I had two with me, and left to never come back. I recall a woman sitting near us, she was over eighty, saying as we left, "Honey, I'd leave too, but my daughter drove me and she's up there."

beerkrump 6 Sep 14

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

8 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Fundamentalists value conformity and doctrinal purity over unimportant stuff like morality and personal integrity.

I would have offered the old lady a ride. No one should have to sit through that.

Reminds me of a Peters brothers (god hates rock music - if you play it back-words are worships the devil) seminar a few friends and I went to in hopes of trolling the ass hats. They had larger speakers (public address amplifier system) so we could not yell over them. When the ass hats announced, "Ok now we need the people near the back to make sure nobody leaves because we are now going to pray and save everybody - there may be a few evils people who are afraid of being saved so you people by the doors, be sure not to let them out because we need to save everybody." We got up and left. Their seminar was a great money maker for them - - so good they came back the next year and had a good old fashion Christian Book Burning - - they burned science and psychology books.

If it were me, I might have offered the old lady a ride home, or at least inquired to see if it wouldd be on my way home.

The church is across the street and we walked. Plus, I'm with two kids under ten.

It certainly is different in the buckle of the bible belt. Even when I was going to Catholic church growing up in MA and TX, I didn't start feeling really uncomfortable with it until moving to TN.

Wow, I’ve & experienced some things as a member of a southern baptist church but I’d have been shocked to hear something like from an old person in my church. It’d give me a lot of hope though.

BenR Level 3 Sep 15, 2018

I will NOT enter a church unless it's for a funeral service for a close family member.

I attended one of the most bizarre funeral services recently.. the preacher literally used it as an opportunity to bring more people to Christ. I’d roll over in my grave if that occurred at my funeral. I might explicitly request no pastor at all. I don’t want religion brought up at mine at all.

@BenR You can and probably should ask not to have a theistic preacher at your funeral. I'm planning to. (Though that should be a long way off for both of us.)

There is an increasing number of humanist chaplains who can do funerals. You might not be able to completely avoid all things that sound a little "woo", but you certainly wouldn't get any evangelism.

That sucks, dude! I'm sorry to hear anyone would be so inhuman to others.

I remember how awkward it was for me last time I went to my former home church and I simply didn't go up and get communion. It was oddly freeing to be honest with myself about my disbelief, but I could sense at least a little disappointment from some others. Fortunately, nobody there was anywhere near as judgmental as the church you described. Leave it, and bolt the door on the way out!

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:179175
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.