Agnostic.com

16 5

Marriage equality

Here in Australia we are having a vote for marriage equality. Being agnostic. What are your views of marriage equality? Since religion is not going to cut it as an defence, lol, what would make you say no?

• 29 votes
  • 0 votes
  • 1 vote
lyondeng 3 Oct 19

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

16 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Let love birds be love birds. If two people genuinely love and care about each other why does it matter what gender they are? Gay, straight, and bi are just descriptions of what someone is into in general. The love itself is blind.

Being gay myself, I think any two people shoudl be free to choose who they want to marry with no gender limitations.

People who can be offended by people they don't know, doing things that don't affect them, should not have any say over whether a minority should be given equal rights.

I think marriage equality shouldn't even be something to debate. The question "What has my marriage got to do with your religion" comes to mind.

Personally, I am 100% for marriage equality; but the attitudes of non-theists (atheists/agnostics) towards same-sex marriage is actually the topic of a research paper I am working on. While the data I am using only applies to US non-theists, the results show that non-theists are the group to be most likely in favor of same-sex marriage. Comparing religious groups Nones are the most in support of same-sex marriage but within the Nones groups, comparing Non-theists to those that are spiritual but non-religious shows that Non-theists are about 1.5 to 2* times more likely to support same-sex marriage.

*I don't have my results on hand at the moment but across all models, I am pretty sure the results are in that range.

I support it. I have gay family members. 1 just got married a year ago. If they are happy, that's what matters.

Love is love. Everyone should be treated equally.

CS60 Level 7 Oct 20, 2017

Love should never be suppressed and unfortunately those that are against marriage equality are doing just that in suppressing the ability of certain people to express that love as they see fit (in this case getting married).
Plus, who gives a rat's ass who someone ELSE marries? Shit, 50% of the hetero population can't even keep their own marriages together, don't think they need to be getting involved with other folks marriages.

Marriage is a legal union under the law and the law needs to be equally applied to everyone who wants to enter into one.

don't get why people care so much about what other people who aren't in my life are doing as long as they aren't hurting someone

My life is not up for debate. You don't have to like me, but I am a human being who wants the same things out of life as anyone else. I owe bigots nothing.

The fact that this is still an issue is beyond me. I personally think that when it comes to peoples choice on who to marry we should keep our thoughts to ourselves.

"Not informed enough"? A person is in love with another person and they're the same sex. That's all I need to know.

I assume you're asking if we approve of same-sex marriage.
I voted yes. One of my daughters is a lesbian and her and her then fiance' got married as soon as the ban was lifted here in the U.S. (or the law was changed, however you want to look at it).

Some might use try to use the religious argument but you're right, I don't think that will outweigh the advantaged of marriage equality.
Marriage carries with it legal advantages that a simple partnership does not, e.g. health insurance, getting loans, etc.

I believe there is no logical argument against equality. If the church or organisation you are a part of is against equality, then they are not forced into equality otherwise. But to use their freedom to deny equality of others outside is morally stupid because the same argument can be used against their organisation or church otherwise!

Jammo Level 5 Oct 19, 2017

It's an easy yes. I should have clicked, Not Informed Enough On The Issue Need More Time To Research because I don't know the definition of marriage equality in Australia, but here in the US, it's an easy yes.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:1796
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.