Agnostic.com

14 3

I want a path to follow though I don't believe how to find meaning w out a god?

#god
xinthrau46 2 Oct 19

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

14 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Decide on something you love that has meaning to you regardless of what others think. Let that color your life. Do right by yourself and to others. Do no harm to others lest you invite harm to yourself. Be grateful and happy you have a today, make the most of it by surrounding yourself with things and people that make you feel good about yourself.

SamL Level 7 Oct 21, 2017

The answer to this feels weird if you ever used to believe in God, because it is chosen not given. The short answer is you get to choose what your meaning is. This can feel unsatisfactory if you ever used to believe in God. Believers have a grand purpose. A divine plan given to them by the creator of the universe.

The problem with this, of course, is that it's all bullshit. So you have to look within for your purpose.

This is great, except for the fact that the universe provide so many things to choose from. Maybe the only advice that I can give is this: as long as you're not hurting anybody, there is no wrong answer. It may take a while to find. It can be simple or it can be grand. But as long as it makes you happy it's not wrong.

". . . as long as you're not hurting anybody, there is no wrong answer." I agree

Common sense is a great way to start.Do you wish to hurt anyone ? if not you have started.When you do things you must ask how would I want the results. Don't like to use the phrase but do to others as you would have them do to you. Next just enjoy nature.Get a pet.Just marvel in the things that happen around you. It is much easier to enjoy life when you do not have guilt of fear from god. You do need to follow your conscience and the path will be clear.

Been trying hard not use those those words "common sense" on her. LOL

I mean I'm searching for meaning and direction and such I have friends who make me feel awful about my lack of faith and when I'm really lost and depressed and hopeless they say Jesus this and god that and don't offer an alternative since that's the ultimate goal in thief lives I feel like a boat on a rough sea , i just don't belive

I agree with OrmRich, please find time to read Richard Dawkins "The God Delusion" Thank you.

Personally I am quite content that there is no purpose or path as such and am free to define my own purpose. However, you may find my response inadequate for your needs so might I suggest looking into an Humanist organisation which may help you decide for yourself? I could suggest reading Richard Dawkins "The God Delusion" but I think people that are still a bit religious or spiritual might find him rather abrasive more than helpful.

why don't you believe in finding meaning without a god?

Simply pointing at religious paths and telling you how bad they are and how they lead to bad places seems like a condescending waste of time, so, let me just tell you that I've given up looking for a path. Once you find meaning, you will make your own path or you will immediately know what paths to try. It's easier if you can see where someone else started and how they got to where they wanted to be, but that is no reason to follow their path without knowing where it is supposed to lead.

I am looking for meaning still. I think for me personally, that means finding ways to cause the largest positive changes in the world, specifically focused on the ones that will outlive me, because that gives me a feeling of immortality. I still don't know if that's what I want the meaning of my life to be, but that's what I want to try now. So now I'm looking at paths others have taken to do that so I can see if those paths can suit my purpose.

Sounds like you need to find a different group to chat with, everyone who has decided to be an atheist or agnostic has first and foremost given much thought to the things you ask for. Such things can never be given to another, they can only ever be arrived at for ones self. That is in essence what being an agnostic or atheist is all about, having the mental "balls" to think for yourself, not ask for someone else to think for you.

Pardon, but I don't agree with you.

It would be better for xinthrau46 to stay here in this Community so she could get the opinions, comments and suggestions from the other side of her fence. Better for her to see both sides of the coin.

I agree with another user that you should look into Philosophy! It takes some time to get used to but I've learned SO much since studying it!

Look at philosophy instead. Yes it's man (or woman) made. - So what?

Paul Level 5 Oct 20, 2017

The most beautiful thing about not taking on a religion, is that you can decide your own path, with no threat of force or eternal damnation. The only things stopping you from reaching goals is your own desires and set of ethics. You choose for yourself what is to be meaningful, what is ethical, what will bring myself and most others the most joy. No one can tell you what path to follow. Just pick one that seems cool, and follow it!

Dylan Level 5 Oct 20, 2017

I salute you for your very nice comment. Very helpful to xinthrau46

There is really is no meaning to life. So first value yourself, then value what you contribute to the cultural group you find yourself in. Then considered your body is your brain's tool to interact and make sense of its place in the world, so take care of it better than the things that can be replaced. Then work, play, eat, sleep and repeat. Be glad fate has placed you here and enjoy your good fortune. Since our population is more than sufficient, reproduction is optional. If you think there is some higher purpose then perhaps you take yourself too seriously. Bear in mind that at some point you will no longer exist. Accept that without fear.

I don't understand your question. Do you mean that you would like for someone to point out a path to finding personal meaning in life?

I think that's what she meant, sort of. or she needs to give thanks to someone higher or to a super something

A great definition I've read for the meaning of life [ that I can live with]. =" to help other people enjoy and improve their lives"

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:1801
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.