Agnostic.com

11 4

For those of you in the northern hemisphere, how do you keep the blues at bay during the winter? I find how much sun I see makes a big difference. After a string of gray days I want to stop getting out of bed.

chicagojcb 7 Jan 24

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

11 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

When I lived in Chicago area my occupation kept me outside on rooftops repairing commercial heating systems. I was on meds for major depression and drank every night during winter. Twenty years I thought , screw this climate, sold my home and moved to Florida. My wife at that time was all for it as we were moving near her mother. Got off the meds , hardly drank anymore (never did any recreational drugs) , quit smoking cigs and saved a lot of money not having to buy winter clothing. Best thing I ever did for my mental health despite Florida's low wage scales.

I hate winter and grey days

I have been thinking of just this issue lately... here in SW Michigan we've had a lot of those grey days. I take vitamin D. It seems to help a bit.

I'm the same way and I haven't seen the sun in over a week. I feel like shit.

I just keep pushing on, but I work all night

Sun is the key. Respite is nice. Today I am journeying to a warmer climate for an undetermined period of time.

I just keep myself busy with DIY projects and focus on what I need to do in my house in the winter months, crafting helps and I like to do a lot of research on my computer, also my dogs keep me busy

Ayla Level 2 Jan 25, 2018

I have the opposite problem: I love the cold weather and I'm happier when it gets dark early. I hate the summer - the heat is horrible and it's not dark for long enough!

Jnei Level 8 Jan 25, 2018

I have depression and live in Maine. It’s cold out for about 6 months out of the year and I have such a difficult time living here, especially in December-February. I’d move but I’m too close to my parents and have no money to move (I live on ssdi).

But when summer comes along I scream with joy when there’s a big bright sun!!!! I’d take sweltering and a big beautiful sun over the shitty weather we have here anyway.

Nothing like being Retired.

I think walking is good medicine. I walk a mile and half everyday, and after it becomes routine I find that I have some thing that I am looking forward to. It really does help your brain produce natural chemicals that help with depression a subject that I a quite familiar with. It also give me time to think, sort things out, or plan for future events. I am starting a two mile walk tomorrow. A new routineπŸ™‚

When spring comes I’m hoping to start a walking routine with my chihuahua, Oliver it’d be good for the both of us.

@PinkPassion Great, I hope the little fellow can keep upπŸ™‚

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:18111
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.