Agnostic.com

1 1

QUESTION ‘Humanity Star’: NZ rocket’s secret payload was a shiny, disco ball satellite

What a wonderfully frivolous but not thing to do ... and from such a small nation of people.

FrayedBear 9 Jan 25

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

1 comment

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Good grief. So we let light pollution take the stars away and then we put up fake ones?

Lol. I had similar thought except that it is sunlight reflected on very small surfaces and is not in diffusive atmosphere.
Think of the pleasure of "twinkle twinkle little star, how i wonder where you are?" in being able to now say "there". 🙂
Given the number of satellites and other man made junk up there i am surprised that we can still see any stars in the sky!

@FrayedBear Living in a major metropolitan area (of which there are several dozen now, no?), I miss seeing stars. Of course, some of it is eyesight. Who knows, maybe I'll be glad to see those twinkles if I can indeed see them.

@chicagojcb having eschewed metropolitan living in favour of clean air a side benefit has been to not lose the panoply of stars visible during the night.
Simply put your location in on the website and it will tell you the best viewing time. Perhaps you can start a movement to have council turn off the lights that hour?

@FrayedBear fighting the city of Chicago for this would not be easy. But if I run out of other things to fight -- lotta social justice issues at the moment -- I just might. 🙂 In the mieantime it might be easier to take a road trip sometime soon.

@chicagojcb like Victoria Australia - road and plane or boat?
🙂

@FrayedBear I would love to see more of Australia. Some 25 years ago I managed a trip to the Sydney area. Loved it.

@chicagojcb see pm

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:18149
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.