Agnostic.com

30 1

Are there any female atheist activists?

I know that it is still a world largely dominated by men, but in most areas we can also find women in top positions: famous and successful female artists, politicians, CEOs, scientists etc...
But there is one "profession" where women are conspicuously absent: I really tried hard to find just one name of a public female atheist, but I couldn't find one (and even if somebody could name one or two, the ratio would still be 1 in 10 or even 1 in 20...) . Where are the female atheist activists ? There are plenty of female activists in other areas: political NGOs, human rights, Greenpeace... etc...
I am not talking about female atheists - there is no shortage of them, although the ratio is less than 50/50 because atheists are predominantly males - but where is the female Richard Dawkins or Sam Harris? What is the reason for the almost complete absence of women in that particular public arena?
Is atheism for women only a private affair? (But sexuality is also a private affair, and we see female celebrities talking in public about their sex life)
Do women take atheism not seriously enough, so that they do not fight for it (and against religion)?
Thoughts?

Matias 8 Sep 18

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

30 comments (26 - 30)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Yeah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kinda sexist, ain't it?

this was fine right up until "Do women not take atheism seriously enough?"

that question is not worth considering for like a shitload of reasons, and it ruined the post for me.

Your observation is absolutely right. But have you thought more deeply about potential reasons?
Men are mainly left brain dominated and try to think to understand. Women have much more right brain activity and often try to feel to understand. And consequently come to different results. And what if they would be right and the unexplainable universe needs some extraordinary power, call it divine or what ever that is not understandable to human beings but still exists? I don`t mean the old man with the long gray beard in the sky but maybe the field triggered by consciousness. Eastern gurus say to you: I am god and you are god but you don´t know about it. That is certainly different from religion, but it still exists some how.

I would love to know more about this.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:181907
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.