Agnostic.com

12 14

Hike to Merritt Lake, WA

Today with three women, I hiked to Merritt Lake, WA. The trail is rated as "very difficult," gaining 2,100 feet in elevation over 5.5 miles round-trip.

Trout were jumping, catching insects. A friend who loves fishing said this looks like a Dolly Varden trout.

Gro and Susan climbed up to a high ridge above the lake. Meanwhile, Karen and I relaxed beside the lake, drinking tea.

These women hike downhill so fast, I run on smooth parts of the trail to keep up, pack bouncing on my back.

No mosquitoes! I love hiking in the fall when it's cool.

LiterateHiker 9 Sep 19

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

12 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Beautiful, and the scenery is nice too ! 🙂

I burn my energy on running mostly, with a little strength training. I really have a desire to hike some Rockies or alps. Maybe when I retire. Happy hikin

Jrou Level 4 Sep 21, 2018

The Sunday Seattle Times had a report on hiking Lake Wenatchee. Ever hiked that area? When we worked on the Iron Goat Trail at Stevens we would often go there. It's a neat mountain lake.

@JackPedigo

Which hiking trails are you talking about?

North of Lake Wenatchee is the beautiful Napeequa Wilderness Area. Verdant and wet, this area is infamous for aggressive mosquitoes and deer flies. I have hiked:

1. Dirtyface Mountain
  2. Twin Lakes
  3. Spider Meadow
  4. Schaefer Lake
  5. Rock Mountain
  6. Minotaur Lake and Labyrinth Mountain
  7. Poe Mountain
  8. Nason Ridge Alpine Lookout, and more.

@LiterateHiker It might have been better I I asked what lake trails you have not hiked. I know you have walked the Iron Goat but with only a 2% grade it must have been a piece of cake.

@LiterateHiker The paper mentioned Nason Ridge which they said was a hiking paradise. I would go if I had someone to go with me.

@JackPedigo

Last Spring, we hiked Nason Ridge above Lake Wenatchee and were horrified by clearcutting by Weyerhaeuser on the far side of the ridge, triggering landslides.

Nason Ridge: Private Land Acquired, Saved From Logging

On May 21, 2018, Chelan-Douglas Land Trust (CDLT) and Western Rivers Conservancy (WRC) announced WRC had reached a deal with Weyerhaeuser to purchase the entire 3,714-acre Nason Ridge property. The organizations are now looking to raise $1 million in six months to support this purchase."

[wta.org]

@LiterateHiker Okay, I read the article in detail and there was a paragraph: "But this summer, Western Rivers Conservancy (WRC) stepped in and and secured the purchase of of the property, pausing the deforestation and preserving 3,700 acres, plus 22 miles miles of trails for public use - before all were lost for a generation." as you said. I am always looking for connections and the $1Billion ruling to support schools are a part of the picture. Timber harvests go to support education. The recent property tax hike is unsustainable so other resources are looked at. I always see a connection between our demands and the loss of resources.

Fall seems to have come early this year. We are hvign weather in the Pacific Northwest mor eliek what we usually get in October... At least down near the Portland/Vancouver area.

Sounds fairly rigorous. Gorgeous pics.

@Condor5

It was a very difficult hike. In the mountains, elevation gain is not gradual like stairs.

In one place, I clawed up extremely steep, sliding dust, trying to find anything solid to grab. A plant, a rock. Nothing.

I went to the left, crawling up a more steep area. At least I had plants to grab. It was too steep to stand up.

Thanks for your compliment on my photos.

Very nice

I love it when it's not too hot. Going to hit 93°F here in STL today. Thank you human induced climate change

Awesome pics. Thanks for sharing them, and your experience.

Beautiful. Thanks for sharing!

I still have mosquitoes, but still take my quiet time walk at the park. Very beautiful area still want to go back to glacier national Park.

You are a good photographer! I love the fish especially.

Carin Level 8 Sep 19, 2018

@Carin

Thank you! This is the first time I got a clear photo of a fish swimming.

In 2016, I was lucky to film Rainbow Trout jumping in Twin Lake, feeding on a Mayfly hatch.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:182270
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.