Agnostic.com

5 0

How to not be bitter toward an ex

My ex husband has very recently fallen off the wagon and started drinking heavily again. Our child was staying nights with him while I worked and catching the bus to a better school district from his house.
Of course she can't stay there now so I'm scrambling to find childcare every night and someone to get her to school on time everyday. She loves this school and I don't want her to have to go to a school a 45 min bus ride away.
My job is no help, they basically said sorry about your luck, kick rocks if you can't wait an unkwon amount of time to get on 1 shift.
I said all that to say this, this is just the latest incident in a long line of bullshit he has put us through that has left me holding the bag.
Before anyone says its a disease and not his fault I really don't want to hear it. He has consistently refused treatment. I just want to know if anyone else has managed to get past the anger and bitterness.

QuietEnt 5 Sep 19

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

5 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

How are you? Still kicking?

...'nough to drive one nuts. Alcoholism is genetic. When a human drinks alcohol, the body manufactures gabba (sp.) to assimilate the alcohol. Some humans (for some reason American Indians are more prone to having this condition) produce more than is required, leaving that person with a physiological urge to drink. Simple. We've all seen people who after a few drinks will not stop. Such people cannot drink. He may be un-aware of (or simply not care about) this. A drunk is still a pain in the ass.

@QuietEnt ...won't. You're sadly taking your only option. Damn. Tex

You are being frozen by anger, but I found a way to get rid of the ptsd and negative emotion associated with toxic exes.

I borrowed from hypnotherapy but just cut to the chase, or the "active ingrdients."

I allow myself to relax and get into a meditative state. Then I spend some time picturing the person or traumatic events as they SHOULD have happened..my ex as a loving, supportive, healthy person and our family spending our lives in happiness.

When I "wake up" from the meditation state, the negative emotions will have been replaced with positive emotions associated with the replacement "memory."

I know intellectually what really happened, but the emotional anger and shame surrounding it is gone..permanently.

Once free of crippling resentment, you will be able to calmly find solutions for both of you.

By the way, if your ex is open to it, CBD oil, found in most health food stores, has been found to cure addictions of all kinds, including alcohol.

"One week of treatment with a non-psychoactive marijuana compound could help drug addicts and alcoholics from relapsing for months, a new study found.

Researchers gave cannabidiol (CBD oil) to rats that consumed either alcohol or cocaine every day. The animals received a daily treatment of the CBD in gel form for a single week, according to the study published in the journal Neuropsychopharmacology.

The CBD helped the critters consume less alcohol or cocaine, even when they were put into anxiety-inducing situations that might push them to take more. And the rats that had the gel applied to their skin were also less anxious and less impulsive, the study says."

Link: [kansascity.com]

I am not one to say don't be bitter-my ex has mental health issues that result in him being a self centered ass. I have issues with getting my kid home from school which my unemployed ex could fix, but he chooses to make my life and my kid's life hectic and uncertain by not providing such easy help. All I can say is, it is right to be mad at him because you are disappointed in him. He is messing with his kid's life. But bitter eats at you, more than him, so I'd try to just be mad and find solutions to the problem he created. Once you get to a more stable time, you can examine if bitter is where you want to land (I would personally choose to rise above and let him eat my dust, but that is hard to do). But for now, more power to you! I am rooting for you and your kid. If we weren't hundreds of miles apart, I'd try to help more. I really hope you and kid can land on your feet soon.

Holli Level 6 Sep 19, 2018

It's hard not to be angry when his actions are negatively impacting your child. I don't even know this loser and I am angry at him!

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:182406
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.