Agnostic.com

5 5

QUESTION For some people dying alone is not such a bad thing – here's why

Cultural representations of dying suggest that being alone while dying is a dreadful thing. This view is supported by healthcare policy and the practices of health professionals, such as nurses. But we all know people who prefer to be left alone when they are ill. Is it so surprising then that some might wish to be alone when they are dying?

It is time we began to talk about this and to accept that we want different things in our dying as we do in our living. Openness created through discussion might also help to remove some of the guilt that family members feel when they miss the moment of their relative’s death.

zblaze 7 Jan 25

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

5 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

@zblaze I totally agree with you the importance of discussing with your loved ones not only your desires but your wishes for them.
I am fascinated by the people who I encounter who have ashes installed in some prominant place in the house or cemetary and go talk with them!
The other source of astonishment are the numbers who fail to give their partners or children the right to die before they do. The concept of ownership of family members is sadly still very prevalent even with professed enlightened people.

Having once been requested to sit for hours and watch my comatose father-in-law wheeze his last breath I can only say "ridiculous". Fortunately his son agreed and so we went off and had something to eat.
I find it even more ridiculous when people (usually religious) ask "will you be attending so and so's funeral?"
My response which happily shocks many is "if I have no desire to spend time with them when they are alive why would I spend time with them when they are dead and wearing a wooden overcoat?"

LMAAO Thanks Frayed.

Personally, I would prefer to just wander off - the way many animals do - into the woods, maybe the last sounds being wind through the trees or birdsong, and lie down and die ...

There never has been, nor will there ever be, a one size fits all for humanity although many try to make it that way to great grief.

Of course it is different for everyone. The experience I had when my partner died was the just the opposite for her. She wanted as many people around as possible. She had a brain tumor and nothing was affected accept her speech even up to the final moment. She also was a part of a willed body program so time was critical. If it is a good death I think most would like to have others around. If it is a long agonizing death maybe not.

I have heard some animals, likes cats, sense the time has come and go off to be alone. I know of one woman friend who went out to the woods (she was a hiker) and was never seen again.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:18276
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.