Agnostic.com

34 14

Frustrated

Does anyone else have a difficult time keeping their cool when the topic of religion is brought up?
I have so many good, solid, scientific facts to back up my views, but I rarely can manage to calmly share them. I usually end up just keeping my mouth shut, while my face betrays my emotions.
I would much prefer a mature, and level headed conversation on the subject. I'm a bit embarrassed by my initial reactions to religious people.
Anyone have advice on how to be less intolerant?

Donotbelieve 9 Jan 25

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

34 comments (26 - 34)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

my best defense in any situation that seems stranger than truth is to make believe I am Margaret Mead just landing on a newly found island in the Pacific with a culture to be observed.

@Dida it is a good defense

Sorry to learn about your frustration, I wish if I know how to easy your pain.

@Donotbelieve Therefore, we are walking this journey together and we share in everything we face good and bad. I share freely what I have with those I care about and there are none that I care about more than you, atleast for now. be strong, you are in my thoughts. Fight on.

Why should you be "less intolerant"? As long as you don't create a mess (I do) when they try to talk you into religion you should be as intolerant as you feel.
You have exactly the same right to feel uncomfortable and frustrated as anybody else....and trust me, the believers are champions at feeling offended when things do not as they want.

Honest... I am more frustrated when an atheist brings religion as a topic that when a religious bring religion as a topic. Lucky for me I am tolerant, very tolerant and not bothered by the little stuff.

I can pretty much tolerate it, except for when someone gets on their soap box (literally) in public and has a megaphone, or microphone with portable amp. That shit gets under my skin. It's annoying as fuck!!!

I don't think that you will ever be able to change a religious person's mind because no matter how logical your argument because, generally, religious people believe in changing the facts to fit their beliefs instead of changing their belief to fit the facts. If you are able to learn to tune others out it might make life a little less frustrating for you.

let em have it . both barrels. metaphorically of course

Not anymore. After a study of logical fallacies, it became kind of fun to watch them try to spin subjects/facts to fit. Most interactions end up with their side loosing their collective kewl

well, you can't change stupid especially when it's religious based, these people generally just won't budge why get upset about them. just rise above it as you are above them.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:18332
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.