Agnostic.com

12 2

Designs your own spacecraft. Mine would be a 303 foot long cylinder with an inner chamber rotating to create some gravity hollow in the center so it could create a vacuum with in a vacuum and be propelled forward. Stasis chambers for long periods of travel.

azzow2 9 Jan 26

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

12 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Where are we going ?
Sounds like a cool way to travel.
If we have more options for travel why not ?

Just exercising my imagination in a healthy way.

I'd track a nice sized rocky asteroid coming close to earth, catch up to it, and build a condo on it with a few engines and away I'd go to near the speed of light, slamming through a few stars for fuel and away I'd go.

jeffy Level 7 Jan 26, 2018

I don't want one... no place to go! Unless I want to fly low to impress the locals. Its like owning a atomic bomb. What you going to do with it? Now give me a jet fighter plane. It's amazing how 7 thing take off - takes your breath away.

This is interesting trivia. The guy name Thomas Townsend Brown actually built a working space ships. The day he went to fly it him and the spacecraft disappeared. Most suspect government interference.

I'd just have a Xeelee Nightfighter (from Stephen Baxter's novels, for those who don't know what I'm on about).

Jnei Level 8 Jan 26, 2018

Have you ever ran into a tree? I am into art not science... Past civilizations been measured not only by technology advances but by their contribution to the plastic arts. The first thing you ever knew about Egypt was the pyramids not their chariots. You go ahead and play noah on 21st century.

@LennyP49 Since you are "tripping"... let's trip! Were you going with your spacecraft? When you show up unannounced, uninvited in another alien universe space... what is going to stop them from blasting you off to pieces? ...if they know "our history", they know of slavery, wars, greed, columbus arriving to america and destroying the natives... Knowing that, why will they do anything with you? ...oh I get it, you hope they will be capable of worshipping you... Nice!!! And by the way... a sense of "superiority" will be thinking you can design a spacecraft and go anywhere with it.

Does it have to use existing technology? Also, how does creating a vacuum achieve propulsion in space?

It is hard to make a useful centrifuge for the astronauts. You need it to spin at less than 2 rotations per minute - otherwise the astronauts would get dizzy. [quora.com]

If you calculate the size it then needs to be to give the astronauts a reasonable gravity it becomes kinda wide. My quick and unchecked calculation gives 440 meter radius just to get 0.5g! So your spaceship would have to look more like a face forward flying hockey puck.

Mine would just be an interstellar hull protecting the AI core becuase WTF would try interstellar travel with mortal organic bodies. Solar sails should work fine since AI doesnt care about travel speed

Yeah, I'm really appreciating some real science in my science fiction. I've always hated spaceships designed based on a horizontal access, like the Enterprise in Star Trek. They should be based on a vertical access, because forward thrust would create downward force to mimic gravity. This combined with a centrifugal wheel or sphere for crew quarters, and you're off and running to romp around the solar system.

Death Star. Definitely. Death Star.

OK, I have to ask, why 303 feet long?
I would opt for something like in Dune, a ship that goes inside a space warp and you come out the other side

303 is one of the universal norms.

does it have protection in the front for the possibility of space rocks etc like in the movie Passengers

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:18407
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.