Agnostic.com

6 8

Test of Three (Socratic Method)

In ancient Greece (469 - 399 BC), Socrates was widely lauded for his wisdom. One day the great philosopher came upon an acquaintance who ran up to him excitedly and said, "Socrates, do you know what I just heard about one of your students?"

"Wait a moment," Socrates replied. "Before you tell me I'd like you to pass a little test. It's called the Test of Three."

"Test of Three?"

"That's right," Socrates continued. "Before you talk to me about my student let's take a moment to test what you're going to say. The first test is Truth. Have you made absolutely sure that what you are about to tell me is true?"

No," the man said, "actually I just heard about It."

"All right," said Socrates. "So you don't really know if it's true or not. Now let's try the second test, the test of Goodness. Is what you are about to tell me about my student something good?"

"No, on the contrary..."

"So," Socrates continued, "you want to tell me something bad about him even though you're not certain it's true?"

The man shrugged, a little embarrassed.

Socrates continued. "You may still pass though because there is a third test - the filter of Usefulness. Is what you want to tell me about my student going to be useful to me?"

"No, not really."

"Well," concluded Socrates, "if what you want to tell me is neither True nor Good nor even Useful, why tell it to me at all?"

The man was defeated and ashamed. This is the reason Socrates was a great philosopher and held in such high esteem. It also explains why he never found out that Plato was banging his wife.

TheInterlooper 7 Jan 26

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

6 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Thanks for posting this. I forgotten where I learned something I do out of habit. I do fact check and try not to gossip and snopes is great.

We have strange defamation laws here in Oz. I always believed that provided something was true, you could say it. In many places the definition of deformation includes that the statement is untrue. In Oz that is slander. You can be absolutely correct and truthful and be convicted of defamation here if what you say harms the perception of a persons character.
So, you say something derogatory about someone and here, you are guilty of defamation, no question. However there is an acceptable justification, and that is that the person you tell, has a need to know, or you have a duty to tell that person.

Socrates could have questioned Plato about Xanthippe himself, while he and Plato themselves were banging..
Socrates believed teachers shouldn't have sex with their students, but Plato said that Socrates often succumbed to temptation anyway since he couldn't resist the pretty young men.

Thank you....it was nice to be reminded

He was right when he said he didn't know..... PLATO!?

Only the good die young.

godef Level 7 Jan 26, 2018
Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:18423
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.