Agnostic.com

7 13

"With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion."

Steven Weinberg

Happy Friday morning all 🙂

Knitfreak 7 Jan 26

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

7 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Oh, I like that!

not true as soldiers aren't all bad or religious but I know what you mean.

hey, good point I haven't considered. However maybe soldiers do bad things rather than evil given that they have relinquished their power of choice.

yes and in that respect there like religions

Religion convinces Christians to discriminate against and hate transgender and gay people. Not to mention convincing Christians to vote for an immoral, racist of questionable intelligence. And many of those Christians would seem to be genuinely good people otherwise.

I think religion and nationalism are the two primary forces that twist good intentions into evil actions. It's what sets up the us-vs-them mentality with authoritarian regimes (God or government) mandating and manipulating behavior and belief through propaganda and shows of strength, and promoting a notion of in-group superiority. As soon as you can separate the "other" as being lesser — less moral, less human, less civilized — the easier it is to treat them as though they don't matter, leading to all sorts of atrocities.

Cool

They made a good show about an evil person. Count Dracula. He impelled people. But they made a hero out of him in the movies....ugly!

awesome. The same message as the Old Testament, seems to me
exact same

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:18425
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.