Agnostic.com

7 3

Dating as a heathen....

So I'm originally from Chicago.
Currently living in San Antonio Texas.
One of my main issues with dating since moving here has been that the vast majority of women I've met are Bible thumping Christians and only want to date a man who follows there beliefs. Anyone else run into this problem in the southern USA or elsewhere?

Kashif 5 Jan 26

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

7 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Well, if you think it’s bad in San Antonio, try living in the Texas panhandle or Abilene. Nothing but ten commandment tablet toters everywhere you look. I lived in San Antonio for twelve years, so I know what you are dealing with. High percentage of Catholics, but at least with Catholics, they sin like crazy all week and wash it away at the end of the week with a few Hail Marys.

After reading some of the posts about how to clear the air on your profile in a dating site, I can tell you from personal experience it won’t make any difference. I had “non-religious” on mine and was contacted by a man who I eventually began dating. Before we went out he asked me about my views on religion and I clarified for him. He supposedly accepted it. Then when he responded to something I said with “give it to god. He will deal with it for you”, I reminded him that I don’t believe in any of that. He was shocked!! Really?!?! What part of that did he miss from the beginning? His parting comment to me was - wait for it - “I will pray for you”.

People are tactile creatures. You are a handsome man, and I can all but guarantee you that if you showed interest in any of those women who supposedly put god before anything else, they would start compromising their beliefs real quick. Then, just like this guy, when you remind them of your beliefs and question their actions (i.e., having sex outside of marriage), they will use the catch all of “we all falter. You make me a weak”. They always have an excuse for cherry picking their beliefs.

San Antonio is a blue collar city and not very progressive for being the 7th largest city in the U.S. I like what someone else suggested - move to Austin. Cost of living is higher, traffic is ridiculous, but your quality of life will be much better. As for me, I’m guess I’m just going to become a “NONE”!

Man that's my life right now in NC. Going to be moving up north east WV. I hope it's better being so close to DC. As for you man. I have relatives in that area. You basically you have 3 options.

1. Find a more liberal Christian that can tolerate your views and you hers.

2. Match up with the first atheist you meet like spawning salmon regardless of mutual attraction.

3. Move to Austin TX. Thats where they film the Atheist Experience.

I've actually thought about moving. Still thinking about it. Not much holding me here but I moved here for the weather and attractions and low cost of living. Yet to find a more liberal place that has all of that.

The way I see it, when the very religious don't want to date someone nonreligious or of another religion, they're actually doing us heathens a favor. I wouldn't want to date someone whose worldview is so strongly tied to faith, and our values in the long run would likely clash. Even though it reduces the dating pool considerably, that's kind of what dating itself is for — it's just weeding them out without needing the meetings to find out a core part of compatibility is missing. Even nonreligious people are sometimes put off by the labels "atheist" and "agnostic," so my recommendation to either not specify or refer to yourself and "nonreligious" or "secular humanist" to not immediately put potential matches on guard, where they may equate "atheist" with "arrogant."

No problem..simply mention on your dating profile that you are non-religious/agnostic, atheist/ or whatever label you use, and want to meet someone with similar views. .

I generally don't list or state it specifically. But I see a lady and I actually read her profile and alot of the time her profile starts with something like "God is important in my life. If he's not important to you don't bother contacting me."

@Kashif That's discouraging, but when I first dated my ex, I was still religious, and that was also one of my criteria.
However, now I'm heathen and he might be by now, too.

Since he emailed me last year that he's transitioning to non-binary female, I'm guessing he's ditching religion also, so people change all the time, LOL!

We have to face that there will be many people that won't want to mingle with the likes of us. And that because of our very open minds, we have narrowed down our potential pool of people from which to choose. So you may have to search longer for the right one for you, which also takes into account where you choose to live.

But to me ... it's all ok, and well worth it to live your truth !

In SW Michigan there's a lot of that sort... dating has been rough here as well. This is compounded by the trump lovers. Sigh...

At least we have this site for sanity 😀

Brother... I'm so sorry that the sky's limit has changed. I don't know what I would do if i had to pick and choose again. Then there's the chance that they would not feel the same about you. This forum is a great start to look..... good luck.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:18448
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.