Agnostic.com

33 6

How many people here have lived overseas

I am curious about people's experiences good and bad about moving to a foreign country

btroje 9 Jan 26

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

33 comments (26 - 33)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

My American Career was an Industrial Electrical Control and Automation Design and installation Engineer. I designed the electric control and automation for a revamp of a steel mill in Bevervijlk. That is in Holland. The project went in wonderful. Two weeks ahead of schedule. I love history and since schedule went well, I was able to take in many cites. During my stay I lived in a small cottage in a town on the Black sea. Egmund An Zee. I loved the samll town and a wonderful job/holiday.

Is that a Dutch town?

Thanks for your message. Yes, there are very nice and very ugly emotional types all over the world. I try to be positive thinking and not negative. I met my Nemesis in November 2015. I do not dignify him with a human name. I call him 45. I hope somehow they get him out of the oval office before we lose the planet. I call him an evil, demonic, megalomaniac, sewer hog. I am destroying myself with this hatred, but I cannot give up until he is gone. I gave my speech on 45 because 45 is the worst possible piece of humanity I have ever encountered.

I am not sure I understand your response. I was wondering about people living in another country other than the one they were born and raised in

I have friends in Sweden, Austrailia, Mexico, Iran, Iraq, Turkey. I have been on Facebook around 10 years as an activist and just friends. I also have worked ona 3D social community called IMVU as a creator. Anythiing you can do in real life, you can do on IMVU. Sometimes I socialize, but mostly as a creator, you are working. I make avatars, hair, clothes, shoes and homes, furniture. They sell for credits which I usually put back into creating or buying something a friend created. Anyway they feel sorry for America and hate our 45.My avi picture I added.

From where? My in-laws lived in France for years, so we spent lots of time there too.

from whatever your country of origin. Were you living in France or visiting?

Mostly visiting, but sometimes for up to 3 months, so fully immersed in local life.

I actually thought half or more of Americans thought that they were the only country in the world? lol Sorry. But I have seen people who don't know where Mexico is, certainly don't know where New Zealand is and have never looked at a world map. Sorry again.... I know everyone here is way more intelligent than that! The funny things I hear.
Though I was going to move to Perth Australia.. but did not in the end. Which is actually a good thing. If I was going to move to Australia is would be somewhere on the east coast.

Sacha Level 7 Jan 26, 2018

why there? I have a cousin over there but I don't talk to him much.

@btroje It was about possibly getting back with a past partner that had moved there. Did.t work out although we tried.

Alas, I have only lived in the US. I have visited Canada and France, but that is it. My sister in law married a Frenchman and they moved to France 17 years ago. She is still not really accepted there.

That would be me for one.

you lived in another country?

@btroje -- Yes. 35 of them. Somehow my full post disappeared. I spelled all this out in it, but it has gone to the Internet heaven. It would be dishonest of me to say 'lived' because my stays were limited to the term of the contract I was working. That was anywhere from two weeks to eighteen months. I was a naval architect who frequently was employed as an on site troubleshooter. Sometimes at sea, but usually in various ports here and there. My longest stay in a foreign country was Mexico, where I lived and worked for some 16 years.

@evidentialist did you like Mexico?sorry your missive flew the coop

@btroje -- Yes. It took some getting used to and it required a lot of quick study to get to the point where I could navigate in the society without being taken. That's not an indictment of Mexico, it's true everywhere. It's just that I knew I'd be there for quite a while, so it was important.

A lot depends on where you are in the country, too. The laws are not as immigrant friendly as in many other places, but they can be worked around.

Another thing, wherever you go, make sure you can speak the language or learn it quickly. I'm lucky in that regard because I have a facility for languages. When I first went to Mexico, I didn't speak a word, well, I knew si, no, señor, and so forth, but nothing else. My contract required me to teach a group of people who had never worked on a boat how to build boats. It was a from the ground up deal, and no one at the new plant spoke any English. I learned enough Spanish to do the job without screwing things up in a couple of weeks and went to work.

@evidentialist smart man evidently

@btroje -- I don't know about that, but I got the right wiring for languages, but not all languages. Asian languages throw me for a loop, so I've only picked up some rote phrases and a few words. There's an embarrassing story in that one.

@evidentialist thats why i never tried to speak Navajo

I live in Mexico now, originally I'm from the UK. I work in IT and it seems to me that for our profession it`s one of the best countries not only in terms of opportunities but also in terms of budget. At first I moved on a tourist visa. After my visa expired, I moved to Guatemala and then moved back. This makes Mexico ideal for people who make money online. For more about the prospects you can read [destinationscanner.com]. In addition, you can rent an apartment here for less than $500 a month. That's enough to move to Mexico=) Of course, rents vary from region, but remain more than reasonable.

HAHA living there now. I live in the antipodes to where I came from in 1982, used to have a birthday in midsomer, became midwinter. But all is overseas from somebody else's perspective, ponder that!

yes and was asking from everyone's perspective

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:18518
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.