Agnostic.com

6 0

What should I practice with Jiu Jitsu with hernia injury?

Yesterday in my Jiu Jitsu class I had pulled the hernia while practicing break falling; rather than going to a roll from crouching position I fell back to go into the roll from a slightly higher elevation from the crouch and when I rolled through I felt a pull in the hernia ( before this point it wasn’t bothering me for the first two weeks and thought I would be ok) I did have hiatal hernia ever since I was 20 ; and while I was sparring the pain was a little worse ; so I went to the instructor for an ice pack ( which he was out of) he did tell me to take a couple ibuprofen and rest up and that I should wait to spar after three months in and to take it easy in class with it ; my question is would practicing guard be safe to practice with this injury?( on top of the regular curriculum) and still to take it easy with that as well.

AJimboShep82 7 Sep 23

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

6 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Get thatvthing surgically repaired or risk dying of internal gangrene (peritonitis)!

I just got it checked out at hospital and did say there was a small hernia in the area of the injury ( lower left abdomen ; whereas hiatal is the opening of the stomach) ; and it was muscular rather than the stomach; so they gave me an anti inflammatory and T3’s and said I cannot participate for 1 week.

I had a herniated disk surgery back in 2015 and before the surgery my life was awful with my pain. I had to be taken to the hospital with an ambulance because I couldn’t move my leg anymore.. the back injury is serious and a herniated disk can affect your life to where you can’t no longer use a leg because of the nerve damage...

So first of all I highly recommend going to the doctor to see what exactly is going on. Because it is very new, you’ll likely get away with physical therapy (aka swimming, massages and passive exeecises) to strengthen your back and your doctor will tell you what/how. You shouldn’t lift anything heavy either. for now, resting sideways with a pillow between your legs and another one supporting your back is the best thing you can do.

I didn’t really care the few times over the years when my back hurt or got locked due a photoshoot or something, but years later it literally took revenge from me, for not being careful 🙂

I hope you feel better soon!

Excuse me for the typos, typing a whole story on my phone call as not the best decision of my life! Lol

NO. please no. please see your doctor immediately. the results can be so painful (been there) and even deadly (almost went there). a hernia is very serious.

An ideal first exercise probably would have been to find a reputable jiu jitsu website and ask for advice there!

Jnei Level 8 Sep 23, 2018

STOP AND TALK TO YOUR DOCTOR ABOUT IT! A hernia can rupture and you can die! Be safe, and take it careful!

Do you think I should get an ex ray to get it checked?

@AShep82 I'm not a medical doctor, but one will give you better advice than I can. Since you live in Canada, there isn't any reason to not go to get it checked out. Your medical is probably 100% covered by your province. I ended up in the ER once because my BP was very high. Like 190/120. The doctor told me to not work out until I got the BP under control. I got addicted to energy drinks. I'd drink about half a dozen 24 oz cans a day. I haven't drank one since that day. I'm just some guy on the internet. Talk to a professional. Hopefully I'm wrong, but better safe than sorry!

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:185219
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.