Agnostic.com

6 3

Survey Says?

[patheos.com]

I see eye to eye with the intent of this article, though I find myself musing over the question of how public opinion surveys equal objective reality. Your thoughts? Clearly, an agnostic.com opinion survey will resolve this question. 😉

MikeInBatonRouge 8 Jan 27

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

6 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Mike... religion is a crutch. It is a manipulative tool to control or be controlled. I was blinded by the solemn behavior of people. what i thought was a genuine belief was actually a way to control and get money. It's either this or that so what do you want to do. who do you want to impress

Religion isn't the source it is the political tool used to control and manipulate the people to fight for a cause that benefits the leaders by promising great rewards in the after-life for their sacrifices.

Betty Level 8 Jan 27, 2018

I agree! Such an effective way to make a war the righteous us against the evil scary 'them.'

@Donna_I

Absolutely. Religion is an effective way to convince large demographics that their way of life, faith, livelihood, and their very lives are at stake. It is an insidious way to get the masses to fight your battles for you for little to nothing in return other than the blessings of the religion. Effective but oh so sick.

If we dispose of the survey aspect of the issue we can have an objective issue to discuss. People are indeed guided by religious beliefs. That is the issue here. Many of these decisions made due to religious beliefs are certainly benign and cause no harm to others. There are the more problematic ideas planted by religion like; Its a good idea to strap a bomb to your 10 year olds chest to kill some people "For God."

I actually disagree. I fought in both Iraq and Afghan and while it is true that religion was the basis for most of that conflict, it was always the backup answer. Religion is often used to cover up ulterior motives, be it resources or even a politicians personal agenda. The motivating factor for US conflicts? it always comes down to the economy in one form or another.

The most war-torn continent in the world, which most of the western world stays out of, is mostly driven by political rivalries and tribal disagreements.

Good points. Economics =huge motivator. And yet, religion remains interwoven in so many campaigns. Greedy interests seize on public sentiments of religious identity to persuade the public to support them. This was true in both Afghanistan and Iraq, and in countless other wars. The religious identities help the public define the other side as inherently suspicious, dangerous, and not to be trusted. Think-- Northern Ireland, Nazi Germany scapegoating Jews to curry public favor, and certainly American expansionists labeling Native Americans as "heathen savages" to justify genocide, or American colonialism touting missionary aims of Christianising "those poor heathens" to justify conquering many lands. The examples go on and on and on.

Objective reality can be subject to the observer's perspective, "There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics."

Many surveys are biased based on how they word the questions, the sampled population, etc.

If you did a survey here, I am confident that religion would be identified as the major source of conflict.

How the questions are posed is extremely important. The worst case I had run in to was after 9-11and the invasion of Iraq. We got a call from a survey asking "Do you support Pres. Bush or do you want the terrorists to win?"

@Donna_I Exactly.

Obviously public opinion is not objective, but historically religion has been a factor in many wars.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:18630
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.