Agnostic.com

10 7

I encourage people to consider fostering. I have started to consider it. Obviously making a difference in a child’s life can be very rewarding and you can do it in such a way that fits your life.

I was surprised at the number of single women who foster.

[thenib.com]

Myah 6 Jan 27

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

10 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Wy wife and I took in foster kids years ago. Had two girls in New Mexico for a year and a half until they were adopted out. Then several more up here in Oregon. We always had kids of similar ages when we did. When all of our kids were gone, then didn't do it any more. We did adopt one girl as a teen. Being a foster parent did have its challenges, but nothing we couldn't deal with. And our daughter is doing great things.

I am too old to be another woody allen... sorry.

I applied once. There is absolutely nothing in my background or life that should disqualify me. But, I never heard from them (New Orleans/Orleans Parish), so I assume it was because I was single or atheist. Not SURE if that was on the application, but it might have been.

I think our problem was our Atheism the teacher doesn't need to deny you being a foster parent

I want to maybe foster teenagers when I am more stable. I'm scared to foster little ones because if they have to be given back to their family they wouldn't know how to keep in touch with me.

All ages have challenges. Teens have years of abuse, neglect and government sponsored education on how to manipulate the system

I've thought about it for years, and wished that I could. I've always hated the way certain groups worry about the fetus, yet could care less for the children already here who have just as much of a right to life as anybody.

I agree 100% being a foster parent is a an incredibly Brave and selfless thing to do . My husband and I went through the EXTREMELY EXPENSIVE and grueling process to become foster parents. The problem was our specific trainer/supervisor was flat out hostile from day 1, things got worse when we were forced to announce we are Humanists. They wouldn't let us change employees. However your experience would be completely different if you had a different government employee as your trainer.

I’m so sorry to hear that. It’s pretty selfish of that employee to deny foster kids the opportunity of a stable home just because of their own bias

Given that I am in flyover country, I think social services may disqualify me if they find out I'm an atheist o.O

My best friend was able to foster children as a lesbian here in Kansas!

@Aimleft I am beyond shocked by that, like too shocked to use profanity.

@ChangitoFeo the shock is understandable. She has now adopted three children, two of which directly out of the system and one through "a friend of a friend" BEFORE he was placed in the system.

@Aimleft surprising, but cool she is doing that.

I'm sure it can be very rewarding. And I'm always glad to hear of little humans finding a home.
But for me, I'll stick to animals , thanks !

I have fostered dogs before and found that very rewarding. Good for you making a difference

Thats very nice.... my wife and I can only take care of each other and our dogs and our kids too when needed.

That is a great service for humanity. A big sacrifice. I don't think I could do it.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:18660
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.