Agnostic.com

12 2

Good morning everyone! So a friend of mine responded to a pastors video about a black man asking if they were welcome to come to their church and he went on a short sermon so I responded with a response of how religion is the core to wars and they just want your money and I was atheist. Well a guy responded agreeing with me and then a woman posted she was "Smh" and wanted to know why we visited the page if we didn't believe". I responded and told her you all preach your beliefs why can't we? I really didn't mean to start anything and maybe I shouldn't have responded now that I think about it. It was an impulse post. But I do like giving people something to think about!

Presley1209 7 Jan 27

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

12 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Our Constitution guaranties freedom of religion and that also includes freedom from religion if one so chooses. Keep right on giving people a choice, to be real people and not just sheeple

Now that the meaning of "smh" has been revealed, just whose head was the woman shaking?

"smh"- I don't know what it means (ya sorta guessed it); I don't care what it means- and I don't speak in acronyms. My guess is that people with nothing to say, say nothing- but loquaciously.

@Diogenes My point was the smh doesn't make sense if it refers to somebody else. Well, not the intended sense, anyway.

@Coffeo ya, know what you mean. My former "true love" was from Europe. She spoke enough Deutsch that she worked for Lufthansa, she did the talking to the hotel staff in Paris (because I never learned much French, and forgot it anyway) and spoke 'engels' without error. Why is it that persons who don't know 'one' language, are so proficient in acronym blather?

Thinking is good. Some theists should try it.

Me, too.

Me, too.

It does get old. Religious people feel free to openly express their beliefs. However, if someone says they don't believe in God, they are considered rude and aggressive. Oh yah, or a militant Atheist. People think they are open minded by saying "I accept you're an atheist, but don't go around talking about it. It will offend people.". However, if they say they will pray for us, "Well they are just trying to be nice Not trying to offend you."

It does offend them and too bad because I'm offended they believe. Its a 2 way street that they refuse to see.

I have no interest in religion, so it is far from my first topic of choice and something I seldom talk about. They are not "trying to be nice"; if they were trying to be "nice", they would say something meaningful and respectful. I can be flippant too, "Mickey Mouse will bless you too".

@Diogenes lol. Yah... If they know you're a non-believer and they say, "God bless you" or something to that effect; they are either very dense or being passive aggressive.

@Rudy1962 Ya, right. If I met a religious person with an injured leg. I would say, "I hope your leg heals." because that has meaning. I would not say, "God will heal you." because I know there is no god/s, and it shows that I have contempt for that person. 'Sincerity'- just because someone believes in fairy tales is no reason to wish harm on them- and I would not wish that.

You go girl! I just saw some survey result that indicated the highest percentage of responders (30%) believe religion is the cause of most human conflict. I agree wholeheartedly with that. Religion has caused more pain, suffering and death than anything else in human history. As Hitchens said, "Religion Poisons Everything."

Its the worst! It really is upsetting that more people don't realize it either! Thanks for your support! I love this site!

"Why are you X if you're (not) Y?" is one of those markers of ignorance and immaturity that cause me to immediately lose respect for a person and want to disassociate from them completely.

Unfortunately it's exceedingly common...

It is really a dilemma. I come from their world and I want them to think about the absurdity too. On the other hand, religions give a lot of people some piece of mind and they feel support by thinking there is an entity that is there to sooth them. I also do respect the Christians that I know. Family friends, and it's not worth it to tempt them. Surely, I will ask questions when the circumstances allow it, but not active. On the other hand, when I am challenged, I always have a few questions in my sleeve. I don't think attacking is the way. Asking questions is the only hope I have to help people to start to think. Above that, I'm not a fighter of windmills. I don't have the pretention of changing the world. I can only change mine. And that's what I am constantly working on.

Gert Level 7 Jan 27, 2018

If religious people are leading a decent life- and they believe in fairy tales, so what? Who cares? Tipping windmills or going on crusades is not my forte either. As far as the crusades, they were some of the bloodiest pages of history- why didn't the murderers just mind their own business?

I think you make a great point. They preach and host their foolishness on everyone that is in earshot. Atheists can certainly do humanity the service of speaks some sense as well. Dont be afraid to join in the marketplace of ideas.
Also, what is "smh"?

Seconded.

SMH means Shaking My Head

Hi, smh is shaking my head.

The question is were you considered to be trolling? If not I would love a link to the site.

I think the biggest reason religion has gotten so out of hand is because we have all kept our mouths shut. maybe if more people used there voices then maybe there would be less war at least on the religious side of things

Kodi Level 4 Jan 27, 2018

Wouldn't that be nice?

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:18672
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.