Agnostic.com

6 0

Politically correct speech - Thoughts?

Political correctness was designed to help us navigate a shift in power and a move toward sensitivity and inclusion. Words matter and no longer is it acceptable for historically marginalized people to be defined and labeled by what they consider to be abusive terms.
Sounds great, right? But there is a lot of confusion. Where's the line between being woke and being stupid?

The term "Colored" was superseded by "Negro", which was then superseded by "Black" and now "African-American". Does this shift in terminology necessarily translate to black empowerment or just lead to confusion?
How about terms like "Imbecile" and "Moron" superseded by "Mentally retarded" and now "Intellectually Disabled"?
Just because a term is used in the pejorative, does it need to be changed? Are changes like this good and necessary?

I want to get your thoughtful insights on this topic. Thank you.

hugh 5 Sep 26

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

6 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

An article in Reason magazine gives a brief history of the term, "Politically Correct", which is interesting. The author ends the article with, "maybe we should drop the phrase from our lexicon. Not because it doesn't describe anything, but because it describes so many things that you can't use it without worrying that people won't understand what you're talking about. But I won't scold you if you use it anyway. I wouldn't want to come across as politically correct."

I used the term because I know it evokes such strong controversy and feelings. It’s ironic how the term “political correctness” has itself become so politically incorrect.

Common language impacts on how people think about and treat others in our societies. Language frames how we think and reinforces our stereotypes.

We still have institutional racism here in the UK and I'm pretty sure it exists in the States too - the same goes for institutional sexism. Often it's very subtle and goes un-noticed by the majority and is considered to be quite normal and seems quite innocuous to most.

I noticed a very clear example of this on a TV documentary about life in a hospital Accident and Emergency (ER) department. Dr Alice Smith was referred to as a working mother, yet none of the male doctors were referred to as working fathers.

As I say, this is quite subtle, but this continues to reinforce (or does it reflect?) how wee think about gender difference?

however, I do also believe that political correctness can also be used as an excuse to avoid dealing with sensitive issues and each case should be taken on its merits and context and not just the words.

Two quick points- language is dynamic, and using inclusive language is extremely important in a society that values diversity and equality.

We should listen when told our language needs improvement, and do our best to keep up as meaning evolves.

when i was doing my uni thesis, I found out that a school which had existed just at the end of my road in Liverpool had had a name change nearly every year along exactly the same lines that you talked about from imbecile to mentally challenged and every station in bewtween - I was pretty horrified but can see that each change was meant at that time to be a kinder perspective..?

Actually, I think it does. I'm not on the extreme side of this but I see benefits. Having said that I know folks who ranted against political correctness before our current pussy-grabber-in-chief became president but now decry the "harsh" language that is evident since.

gearl Level 8 Sep 26, 2018

Interesting. I always thought "political correctness" was a sarcastic term describing people who supported politically associated topics on which they had little to no understanding but based their support on the apparent popularity of the topic.

OCJoe Level 6 Sep 26, 2018
Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:187459
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.