Agnostic.com

6 3

Just because unbelievers have shed one delusion are they really as free of others as they might like to imagine?

If not, what is a common delusion which may still remain & what's your best argument against it & (important) by what reliable methodology can you be so sure it really IS a delusion?

Paul 5 Oct 20

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

6 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I think as humans we definitely ‘fill-up’ our lives with activities or stuff in order to try and make life meaningful for each of us. So getting rid of man’s biggest delusion may open a lot of time to be as delusional about other things; hopefully the critical decision making that lead to reject theism will also be used in other aspects of the individuals life leading to an increasingly positive cycle of events to evolve.

Shedding delusions is a process. You might shed your belief in god, but often most people are still plagued by dogmatic beliefs they were taught while they did believe in god. It takes years, and possibly a lifetime to rid oneself completely of all dysfunctional and false beliefs

That's an interesting hypothesis snytiger & I'm pretty sure there's a lot more to it than meets the eye!

Sometimes I think that everyone has approximately the same amount of superstition in them but it takes different forms.

Those who take call at hospitals, something that I did for years, have all sorts of superstitious ideas on how to avoid getting called back to the hospital. I don't think that thinking agnostics/atheists are necessarily less superstitious than religious people are.

Paul, I agree with you. It seems that when persons who are addicted to one delusion and they reject that , they must somehow fill the vacuum with another one that is as silly, or even more so, than the first. They have been called the "sheeple"- they must be part of the crowd- and show no shame for being so. They must show 'righteous indignation'. And "unbelievers" is a negative term- I am a "believer"----- in reality.

Well maybe people do take up equally silly positions on the nature of reality - & maybe they don't yeah? i.e. It depends on the individual in question no? I'm a bit confused by your statement:

'And "unbelievers" is a negative term- I am a "believer"----- in reality.'

What do you believe then? Please begin your response with the words 'Well I believe...' & THEN say what it is you happen to believe.

Atheists lack a belief in a god or gods.That's all. Everything else is up for grabs.
They can have as many nutty ideas as anyone else.
I try to be as skeptical as I can, but even I can miss one now and then.
IKR? 😉

I agree & if atheists really really take the 'I might be wrong' attitude to heart rather than just give it lip service (which is very very tempting!) it's a great tool BUT there's al;ways the danger of reinforcing the belief that because you've worked out one claim isn't reliable you are suddenly a 'Master of the Universe' who therefore could never be mistaken about anything at all - or am I wrong about that Paul628? l.O.L!

Paul, I deem your response to be the correct one. 😉

I think more so than believers, but certainly not totally. I have known non believers who believe in conspiracy theories, aliens, homeopathy, and the paranormal. I think most of us apply logic to other aspects of our lives besides a god belief, but sadly, not all of us.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:1882
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.