Agnostic.com

10 2

Forced into going to church as a child

I was forced to go to church when I was a child, not by my mother , but by my stepfather and his whacked out family. I have been an atheist for as long as I can remember. I am curious about other people's experience with the non existent being

Woodron 7 Jan 27

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

10 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I and my siblings were also forced to go to church and it was awful. My older brother and I are both Atheists but my younger brother claims to be a Christian though I don't think he has ever read the Bible, I don't think he has ever given it any real thought.

Former evangelical. Left because religious faith did not predict or explain experienced reality. Also to avoid becoming a bitter old man. No god = no god to be mad at / disappointed / confused by. No conflicting claims to resolve. No cognitive dissonance between promised largesse and personal tragedy.

I didn't particularly mind the demands of my religion, so I don't have tales of being "forced" into it. I was actually quite the goody two-shoes, in a way. Even went to a Bible Institute my first year out of high school. The BS just didn't hold true.

Yep. I think my mom just gave up on me going around 16 when I started asking questions that passed her off

My mom decided she needed religion to quit being a mean person, so everyone else had to go with her. It was horrible. Most of the people were nice but completely full of shit. I knew they were feeding me a line of bull at 8. I actually lost a lot of respect for my parents for buying into what I considered stupidity.

I had to go but they didn't care which church. I started refusing to go at age 16 and they dropped it eventually.

I grew up in the South during the 50s and 60s and was forced to attend church. It's just what parents did in that region at that time. I never bought into it and felt like an ass having to kneel down and pray to an Invisible But Omnipresent Sky-Daddy at the same time I was hearing that I was being ridiculous to speculate that there might be life on other planets. My Sunday School teachers hated having me in class because I asked too many questions they couldn't answer. "You have to have faith" never cut it as an explanation to me.

But when I graduated from high school and left for college, I never set foot in a church again, except as a tourist or a wedding/funeral visitor. When my parents asked me if I was still going, they were surprised to hear that I never believed in any of it. I told them they hadn't been listening or paying attention--politely, of course, using "sir" and "ma'am" as I had been raised. 🙂

I was a fast learner. I hardly listened to people unless I was reading their phonetics and body language at the same time. When I wasn't allowed to wear what I wanted, when I was dictated how to act, when I was just told to have blind faith, 6-year old me just flipped the switch because I was emotiomally abused. Why listen or follow abusers, right?

I was also made to go.

Most of us who grew up in a religious household, were force marched to church. I volunteered to be an usher as a teenager. We would pass the collection plate and then sneak off after the offertory to have a soda and smoke at the local drug store down the street from me church. Sometimes, the sodas were paid for with money gleaned from the plate. We were such angels!

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:18874
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.