Agnostic.com

14 3

Have you ever been fired for being an atheist?

I was fired for being an Atheist. Now, it's not legal to fire someone for that, but after getting a ride home from the owner of our small company that I worked for, and him discovering that I am an Atheist, I was let go the next day, and no reason was given. (with WA being a "right to work" state, they do not have to give you a reason to let you go)

Have you ever been fired for being an Atheist?

Lucidmoon 4 Oct 20

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

14 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

No, but I've been divorced for being an atheist.

It seems to be only in the USA that this is a problem, except maybe for extreme theocratic regimes like Saudi Arabia or Iran.

I live in New Zealand. Here you can be fired only 'for cause' as Americans say. You cannot be fired for any of the prohibited grounds of discrimination which include religious belief and the absence of a particular or all religion belief. Also included are sexual orientation, sex, and disability (as long as you can do the job). A majority of people here are not religious. Most of those who are are not particularly strong in their faith. Those that are are generally accomodating of others. I have been working for 42 years and have never known anyone to be fire on religious or non-religious grounds. I have seen the odd news report. Incidents are newsworthy because they are so rare. I think people of like mind tend to take care of each other but nothing I would complain about. A recent law change made it possible for employers to fire for any (non-discriminatory) cause or no cause in the first three months of employment. This was controversial but no-one raised the potential for religious discrimination as an argument against it. It will be soon repealed anyway by our new government.

No, not directly but was sacked by a company whilst working on a church, it started to rain so we went inside and played the organ! Have been refused a job though due to not having a faith....

I have worked for myself for many years so, no problems now at all, but, many years ago I worked in the Alberta oil patch where you learn very quickly to not disclose that you are an atheist. They could not fire you for it but, when they knew it was walking on egg shell make the smallest mistake and you were gone, you would be the first to be laid off and would always be given the dirtiest jobs. The thing about the Alberta oil patch it is ran by Americans or at least was then.

They will never tell you that is the reason. I was very open to other staff members as a teacher, and attitudes changed in some schools. They tried to fire me at one point, but I fought it. They never used the word atheist.

No, but I strongly believe I could be. Am having trouble with personal attacks from my religious boss, so... perhaps.

Zster Level 8 Oct 21, 2017

That's scary! Wow, personal attacks from the boss too?! Best of luck, hopefully you find something that is more open minded!

My lack of belief in god so far has not been an issue for an employer.

I've been fired for beign gay.

I've also was fired from my job when I started to lose vision (I am now legally blind). The employer was too small to be covered by the ADA.

I have not been able to find any kind of regular work since i was 29 (I am not 55), because employers don't want ot hire someone who is half blind.

I'm sorry to hear you were fired for being gay, I am a proud lesbian myself. That's horrible that people aren't willing to even give you a chance.

Sorry to hear it. I am visually impaired myself, and gay.

I have not but then I was very guarded about who I told until just two years ago when I retired.

I know about so-called "right to work" states and it's a misnomer if ever there was one. There is not ONE thing that is good for the worker in a right to work state. I'm sorry that happened to you and yes, I think it is illegal but how could you prove it? Have you thought about the ACLU or the Freedom From Religion Foundation (FFRF)? I know from experience though that sometimes it's just easier to cut your losses and move on. I hope you were quickly able to find another position.

Yeah, he gave no reason for letting me go. and doesn't have to provide one unfortunately. this was actually a long time ago, but I was actually able to land a great job shortly after that because of my experience there, so at least there was that.

Beating them at their game is the best "revenge". I'm glad it worked out so well for you.

I was just fired today and I suspect it was for the same reasons. I friend requested my boss on Sat..by Monday I was fired and no reason given other than it isn't working out. I believe he accepted my friend request and saw I was an atheist ....before this happens the guy was bending over backwoods for me to work for him. There was no warning at all ..just bam..its not working out

What's your union's position on this matter?

I wish there was a union up here for Technical Support personnel. In Washington state, they don't have to give a reason for letting you go, so they just do that instead of giving a reason that could be held against them.

Could I ask everyone who's commenting to say where they're from if they're comfortable with that? And also if that's fairly typical for where you live. I live in the UK and I've never experienced discrimination like this and I'm quite outspoken against religion.

I'm in Portland, Oregon now, but at the time this happened, I lived in Washington State.

Southeastern US. Bible Grand Central.

that's unconstitutional. talk to a lawyer you may have a suit against them. constitution says you don't have to believe in god.

Exactly, He gave no reason because he didn't have to, but considering it was the next day after the first time he and I had ever discussed religion, I knew that was why.

what is a right to work state

One of the pluses and joys of being self employed is there is no-one to do any firing for "wrong" beliefs. if a customer doesn't wish to do business because of your perceived beliefs then there are plenty of replacements.

Exactly. That's my next adventure, my own business 🙂

I was not fired, but I was passed over for promotion when I was clearly the more experienced candidate, and my track record was considerably better than Christian who got the job. When I asked my boss why I was passed up, he said it had to do with the fact that I didn't have kids. When I pointed out Allen (the guy who got the promotion) didn't have kids either all he said was "Well there you go" which meant nothing other than we're done get out of my office.

Ouch, I'm sorry to hear that. Discrimination comes in many forms :/

Cronyism is alive and well amongst us! Perhaps find a job/lifestyle/career that enlivens and appreciates you!

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:1888
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.