Agnostic.com

8 1

Just a question

For example, if you want to be a believer ... what religion will you choose and why?

belfo 6 Sep 28

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

8 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

if i wanted to be a believer it wouldn't work. i can't MAKE myself believe something i don't believe. it's not a matter of wanting or not wanting to be a believer.

however, if i had to choose a religion, i am already a jew, and judaism (reform or reconstructionist) would be my religion of choice. in judaism, atheism actually isn't a dealbreaker, as weird as that may seem, and questioning is encouraged. it's humanistic and in general progressive; the modern prayer books don't assign god a gender (those pesky pronouns! it would be rude to say IT, right?) so that would be my choice.

but back to the first paragraph... wanting to be a believer would not be enough to make me believe, and i will add too that suddenly believing in a god or gods would not necessarily also mean joining an organized religion.

g

if I want to be a believer I wouldn't choose religion. I want to believe things for which sufficient evidence exists.

IF evidence for a particular god or entity were found, and it was sufficient to belief, that's the one I'd believe.

IMO the best kind of religion is not about belief.

What an odd question.

I want to believe as many true things and as few false thing as possible.

So the only way I would start to believe in something is when there was sufficient evidence to support their claims. When a religion does this - any religion - I will become a believer.

However, chances are I would not join that religion as I don't do clubs and I certainly don't do worship. I'll treat their god with the same respect that I treat everything else on this planet and nothing more.

After my experiences with religion I can honestly say none would make any appeal to me.

If by "believer" you mean "theist", I find the failed epistemology of religious faith to be a fatal flaw in all theistic religions; they all fail to substantiate their asserted truth claims. So I would not willingly choose any. However if someone held a gun to my head, and I thought a world where such a thing was a reality was a world I wanted to continue to live in, I would probably pick the most liberal available Christian denomination, perhaps Episcopalian, or if allowed, a post-Christian denomination like the UU congregations. Out of a combination of familiarity, and minimal stridency.

yes right they could not prove the existence .. But do not see that science as well could not prove non-existence?

@belfodil Of course not. That is why no knowledge or belief position is taken either way. The reason science can't disprove it is that the god hypothesis is non-falsifiable to begin with. It's outside the realm of inquiry of any useful sort. And therefore a matter of indifference to me.

@belfodil false argument, shifting the burden of proof.

and science has disproved many religious claims, it just can't disprove the ones that amount to "no amount of observation will ever see this deity actually do something", which is a religion in which the deity does nothing, and becomes irrelevant to a discussion of reality.

"do not believe" is not the same things as "believe to be false". it is not on the person saying "I don't believe that to be true" to disprove a claim, it is on the claimant to provide evidence.

I enjoyed church when I was little for the sense of community...until you learn that they just put on a show for each other every Sunday. I’ve found my community without the lies and ridiculous beliefs.

I don't want to "believe" in any of that shit.

You believe that you are not a believer

@belfodil O there's lots that I believe in, just not some fantasy being in the clouds or where ever god is supposed to be.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:188939
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.