Agnostic.com

7 5

Living in the countryside offers many opportunities to commune with the multitude of non-human animals. I get many visitors: many kinds of birds including micro bats in my garden hat (talk about bats in the belfry) & a cheeky magpie lark, snakes big & small, huge hornets nesting in the eaves, water dragons, fat green treefrogs & all sorts of marsupials. I value their individual lives equally to mine, having totally lost any superiority complex. I also speak to the cows in the paddock - am I getting dotty?

walklightly 8 Jan 28

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

7 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

sounds good to me

Not dotty, just being in touch, Ha, can tell you are from OZ by the description of the animals. I have rain finally this morning, and hundreds of frogs outside my window, loving it.

yes, you guessed right, & yes! we have rain here too after weeks of screamin sunshine 🙂

not enough rain though, I had a quick shower this morning, 2 during the day and another a few minutes ago, almost nothing in them. Ha, I can see the lighthouse from here at night so we probably get the same cloudbursts almost.

@Rugglesby, which lighthouse is that? mine is the byron lighthouse on the tip of the most easterly point of mainland 'straya.

So is mine, I have been watching that light on and off for 48 years. On a clear day I can see the lighthouse from the beach here, even though I am in the Tweed. For many years Byron was my fave place in the world, in my teens I worked at Noosa and would drive down to Byron every weekend to surf the Pass and Wategos, which then was a banana farm with dirt roads and goats. It took me 20 years to finally work in Byron, but sadly it has changed a lot. Haven't work in Byron Bay town for about 15 years now.

thought it was your post at first

I myself enjoy the little animals! They are very good company, they are never judgemental, and are always happy to see me when I come home. They never break promises and never expect anything more than a little food or affection. Animals are wonderful!

Please be extra careful coming into contacts with bats. While they are very necessary and a pleasure to watch, they are notorious for transmitting rabies. Never touch a bat on the ground as they never are on the ground unless they are babies and fallen out of a nest or there something wrong with them.

no worries on that front: i am extremely respectful with all living beings these days. but thanks for pointing it out 🙂

You are just a Nature Whisperer. Nothing wrong with you. Nature's most precious children trust you... that is special on my book.

thank you! i take that as a compliment 🙂

@walklightly Yes.

Wish I could ‘beam over’ … bats in a hat, wow! I’ve read it said, ‘to know anywhere, you must first know somewhere.’ It looks and sounds as though you do 🙂 The place I’d known I’m no longer at, but am appreciating while learning to know another..

You’ve described ‘the heart of Summer’ … as most I suspect remain in the middle of ‘our Winter.’ Yes, beam me over ..I want to smell those ‘micro bats,’ dodge the ‘water dragons’/ dragonflies..? And listen to your accent, the fat frogs.. while sifting the soil of Australia between my fingers … Marsupials..

Spent a day last week learning of Australian politics from a fellow wasting his ‘summer’ over here ..attending an organic farming simposium, from which he plans to bring back and implement some of our successes. ...you’re an ambassador our planet needs.. Thank you for sharing, and enjoy that summer ~

Varn Level 8 Jan 28, 2018

thank you so much! you are a poet 🙂
i do enjoy another endless summer, especially now that we get some rain. but please don't mention australian politics - it makes me blush with embarassment & anger...
keep warm & cosy! spring can't be far.

no not at all

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:18932
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.